Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023, It's Been Great

It's not every day you see a tiny horse walking down the street
when you're driving home from church.


We took Michael & Courtney to the airport at 5:30 this morning
then went back to bed and fell fast asleep until it was time for church.
(Last 9:30 meeting schedule for a year! Yahoo!)

We didn't have any plans with friends/family for New Years, 
but we made a yummy dinner and played games so it felt festive anyway.

Made these shrimp guac bites and they turned out just as pretty as the picture.
Watched The Holdovers during dinner. I rate it 3.5 stars. Dan gives it 5.
(I wished the tension was upped a bit more and more character development of the student.)


Afterward we had root beer floats for dessert and talked Nick into joining us. 
Then played a few rounds of Azul but couldn't talk him into joining us for games.


Cheers!


Rang bells and toasted 2024 along with a chorus of other cheers 
and sounds of Kazoos throughout the neighborhood.


It's been a wonderful year.
We moved into New York. I visited monthly from January - June.
Lots of time in Pagosa (and the swallow bugs are gone! Knock on wood.)

I had a great six weeks in June and July daily working on my book and finished!
Fantastic writing workshops with new information elevated my writing learning.
And my first in person conference.

The most joyful family gatherings--
Mom and some sisters trip to NYC; Deer Valley skiing; Hawaii; Cruise with Nick's friends; 
Charleston w/ EC & sis-in-laws; Courtney's graduation gathering in NYC;
An epic family reunion in Pagosa;
DisneyWorld; Wickhams & Andersons in Pagosa; Marty & Lizzie's new home in Colorado;
Pre-thanksgiving in California;
Thanksgiving in NYC and Christmas at home.

Plus fun friends trips in St. George and Pagosa.

I've enjoyed a myriad of mind challenges that have expanded thought and learning
in government and history from the SharonSaysSo podcast, religion and gospel thought
from the John Bytheway and Hank Smith and Don't Miss This podcasts;
and awesome writing/querying insight from The Shit No One Tells You About Writing podcast.

I discovered Audible and prioritized reading in my daily routine. (I read 47 books this year.)
I kept up with my Instagram for my angshaefwrites account.
We had an epic winter and I skied at Solitude for the first time in years. It was beautiful!
We became Empty Nesters!

Yes, the economy hasn't been great and Dan's business has taken some lumps,
but things will turn around, they always do. And Dan has maintained 
his positive outlook in spite of the drawn out downturn.
Dan really improved in his racing and had a blast racing with Nick.

Our family is healthy and happy and we enjoy being together.
And that's the biggest blessing we could ask for.

Thank you, 2023.

No comments: