Friday, December 08, 2023

The Lower Lights and German Ancestors

My sisters and mom are in Germany visiting Christmas markets and
Regenscheit family neighborhoods and cemeteries.
(Sheree found good flight deals on Saturday and they flew out on Monday!
I passed on this trip because I wanted... needed... a week home with Dan.)

They found the grave of my mom's grandfather: 
Arthur Regenscheit
1879 - 1915

He was killed by a sniper in Germany in WWI 
when my grandpa and his brother were only nine and five years old.
His wife Sophie's grave doesn't exist anymore because in Germany they reuse the plots.
But because my great-grandpa was military, his headstone is still there.



I've been organizing my office and today came across this memory book 
from my Grandma Regan (Regenscheit). 
She was always so good at remembering every detail!


This was my son Ronnie's first birthday. I took the 3 children to Nursery School by Van Nuys High School. The teacher then told me abou thte bombing of Pearl Harbor by Japanese. She said that her son was in the army and hoped he did not have to be captured by the Japanese.
She said that he liked rice so he could survive on a Japanese rice diet if he had to.
I worked for our Nursery (Green Ar...) and every customer talked abou the war with Japan.
The Japanese who sold us nursery plants had to go to a camp. 
Erich grew a lot of the bedding plants, flowers, even corn, squash and bean plants for Victory gardens.


Dan and I went to The Lower Lights with the Christensens tonight.
They're a popular band in Utah and it's possible we're the only 
two couples who've never been to their Christmas show before. 
It was a lot of fun--people stood to sing along and dance in the aisles to holiday hits
that we've heard on the "A Very Special Christmas Albums" which fortunately, we love, 
so we recognized most of them.
It was very much how I imagine a revival to be--singing rock songs about Jesus--but without the saving.

We haven't been out with the Christensens in a long time and it was so so good to catch up.


I don't know why, but it's fun to document new-to-me outfits.

No comments: