Monday, December 11, 2023

Empty Nester Lunch

I had an Empty Nester's friends lunch and gift exchange today.
A bunch of friends whose last children all graduated last year started having lunch together
once a month. This is the first one I've been able to attend and absolutely
loved reconnecting with old friends, laughing and swapping stories of when our kids were little.

Amidst all the fun, there were tears as a couple of close friends are going through some pretty 
rough things. It's just hard to remember us as young moms doing all the PTA stuff together years ago and then fast forward to our future and to realize that with all the joy can also be sorrow and heartbreak.
It left me in a bit of a somber mood the rest of the afternoon.


In spite of the hard things, I am grateful for more festivities this year
spending time renewing friendships and being in the company of great ladies.

This Christmas card came today and I literally thought it came to the wrong house.
Who are Grandma and Grandpa?
It took me a minute to realize that's us!


This evening we went to dinner with the Gardeners. 
J. is on Dan's board and I got to know them a little bit in Costa Rica last year.
I like going out with friends on weekdays.

Afterward, Dan and I had 27 notes to write to accompany tips for the staff in New York,
and then stuff, seal and stamp our 340 Christmas cards. 
We tried to find a Christmas show to watch, but didn't want to commit to movie length,
so ended up watching Abbott Elementary.


No comments: