Tuesday, September 05, 2023

Specialized Tarmac

Labor Day was rainy so we didn't get to hike or bike like we'd hoped.
Instead we saw Oppenheimer which was... good.
Also, a bit confusing with so many characters and the dual timeline.

Today took my brand new birthday bike out for a ride and Dan joined me.
My new Specialized gets a double thumbs-up, A++.
I didn't expect to notice much of a difference compared to my old Ruby.
I like to ride, but I'm not trying to beat any speed records,
but wow! It climbed up 3000 way faster than my old bike and sped along the flats
like I had wind at my back. 


I'm excited to take it on long rides this fall.
Last summer I was so focused on spending as much time on my book as possible,
I didn't bike or hike as much as I usually do.
(45 - 60 min rides and neighborhood walks instead of long rides (2 hrs+) up the canyon or to downtown or Thanksgiving Point. Hmmm, kinda thinking of enjoying the next few months in the saddle.

I'm shipping my old bike to New York so I can ride while I'm there.
Last month I rented a Citibike and made a couple of loops around Central Park,
which was great for a change from walking.
But, it wasn't exactly riding either.

Isn't it funny how if you get out of the habit of something for just a short time,
your brain can easily forget that it's something you "do?"
I've had to remind myself a few times that, yes, I love long rides and
can still ride up Emigration or Millcreek or along the Murray trail.
I just didn't this year because I had other priorities. 
But that doesn't mean I won't do it ever again.
In fact, I just might go this weekend. 

No comments: