Wednesday, June 20, 2018

We Made it to the Saddle

It was a hard climb, but Dan and I made it to the saddle on Mt. Olympus today! It took 2 hours and by the last 30 min. we were stopping quite often to rest a minute. 
50 min. to get to the first river (about 1.85 miles). And an 1:10 to get the rest of the way -- another 1.8 miles. A total of 3.7 miles (we think. My watch stopped for about 10 min.)


The night before our hikes, we make overnight steel cut oats so its ready to eat for breakfast.
2 Cups water brought to boiling. 1/2 cup steel cut oats. Boil 1 min. and turn off heat. Just needs to be warmed in the morning! Add blueberries, milk, maple syrup and pecans.
I swear by oatmeal (whole grain oatmeal) before hiking in the morning. 

Dan needed to be to the car by 11:15, but at our turnaround time we were so close, 
he agreed to press on. I'm so happy I finally made it!
I've always run out of time earlier in the season, but obviously was fine with the excuse to turn around. It's a hard climb! I would love to hike it enough where we could make it averaging 25 min. per mile the whole way. 

I remember at the first of the season where after the first river I needed to stop and rest quite a bit. Now I can get about 45 minute beyond before I start to feel exhausted. 
Its such a good feeling to be getting stronger!


No comments: