Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Drafting and The Two Week Rule

Nick, Dan and Nick's coach, Chris S. (not our Chris S., a different Chris S.),
had to be to the track earrrllllly for meetings, pictures and race walk.


I could barely drag myself out of bed by 9:30. 
After exercising, I spent the afternoon working and I'm not sure there's 
a better place for open minded creativity than a private porch with a view
 and comfortable couches. I was very, very productive. 
(A heartfelt prayer may have helped too.)



I met the guys for dinner at Outback Steakhouse,
(oh man, that used to be our favorite splurge back when we were first married),
and then we went to a "mandatory" IMSA event for racers--autograph signing!








Nick's car wasn't here because they only brought one from each team,
but these are the Mazdas he's racing.


He had a great day. (No crashes in practice, phew. Another fervent prayer answered.)
(Fun fact, two people I met today--a man in the gym and my Uber driver 
both said, we'll be praying for your son! I love being in a place where its common and normal to 
tell a perfect stranger you'll be praying for them.)

Dan reported that after the first practice, 
"He felt like he was making a bunch of small mistakes."
I responded, "I expect the first time out he'll find areas he needs to improve.
That's what's going to keep it challenging and fun!"

One learning curve is figuring out how to draft.
Nick said by the second practice he already felt more confident.

Isn't that a good life lesson? 
The first time doing anything (or even the the first few times) 
is scary and hard and even frustrating.
But before long that difficult thing becomes more natural and comfortable
and pretty soon you look back and think,
"I can hardly remember when I used to not be able to do this."

Starting a new job you always feel like the new person and so unsure.
But within two weeks, you're comfortable, at ease and have the routine down, 
and suddenly it feels like you've been there a long time.

My mom taught us the two-week rule for missing someone.
Like a broken heart or moving away. 
It hurts for about two weeks, and then it gets easier.
Chris and Courtney both quote that to me all the time.
Chris used it in his mission a lot and shared it with others who were homesick.
When it seems like those challenging feelings will last forever, its helpful to know that they won't.
Two weeks isn't really that long, and in just two weeks, things will be looking up.

No comments: