Saturday, May 25, 2024

Adrenaline

It's 8:00 p.m. and I just got dressed for the day. And by "getting dressed," I mean changing from my pajamas to sweats and a sweatshirt. I've been in the same spot working on my manuscript from the new kitchen couch for almost 3 days straight. But I'm allllllmost done.


I took a break on Thursday evening, after the sun couldn't hurt my BBL-treated skin, to walk around the neighborhood delivering Relief Society summer social invites while listening to my new Audible. (Babel, by R.F. Kuang. Thanks for the rec, Michael. I'm loving it!)

I thought I'd work for another couple hours and then watch my show (Trying, on Apple TV) or get back to my book (Happy Place, by Emily Henry) but Chris and friends were in and out with so much energy, and I was hopped up on the progress I was making, I couldn't pull myself away and instead worked until midnight. (And then read in bed for a little while, because its sooo good!)

Yesterday I worked for a few hours in the afternoon until my dermatologist appointment, and then tried to get back to it, but found myself skimming and glossing over horrible sentences that needed rewriting. I've learned that after a big push, when I start slacking off, it's because my brain needs a break from being creative. I took a nap and read some more and then was back at it for a couple hours after dinner.

Today I worked from morning to night with a break to watch Nick's race in the Porsche Sprint Challenge at CODA. 

Trying to write while watching the race. I meant to type "couch" but typed "track" instead!

It was so exciting! It was so intense! He was in first place for 33 minutes, holding off the challenger with two minutes to go. 

He's also racing against Patrick Dempsey! 

Great press from the announcers: 

"Shaeffer! Finally--look at this--he's able to show his true pace early on."

"Nick can finally step in the spotlight and he's doing so pretty emphatically."

"Shaeffer really starting to come into his own."

"Intriguing to see what Shaeffer can do here to keep the points leader behind him."

"We've already seen brilliance under Shaeffer."

Then he disappeared from the cameras when his car had some kind of electrical failure, went into limp mode, and he dropped to 16th making a slow slog to the finish line. 

I was disappointed and angry, and drowning in an overabundance of adrenaline. (Reminded me a lot of the Jazz playoff years in 1997.) For the last two days during practice the car has had this problem. The Porsche mechanics thought they'd found the issue, but they clearly didn't. Ugh. So disappointing.

But you know what else is cool? One of the mechanics came to find Dan and said he was so impressed with Nick. Most drivers would come in angry and swearing--especially when the failure cost them the first place finish! But Nick was calm and collected. (The mechanic also was super apologetic, and sure they'd get it properly fixed by tomorrow. Said if they didn't, they'd get a whole new transmission.) 

Fingers crossed for the race tomorrow.

No comments: