Thursday, June 02, 2022

Summer Tradition

One of my favorite family traditions was spending the first day of summer with my kids -- going to the bookstore browsing and buying a stack of summer reads, lunch together and if we hadn't already, stocking up on summer supplies -- Izzes, pool noodles, hula hoops, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, water balloons -- it changed every year obviously, depending on the kids' ages.

I miss those days!

Just a few years ago, when the boys were old and cool and surely all their friends had been making big plans to celebrate  the first day of summer in a big way, I asked if they would still be willing to spend the first day going to lunch? And they said yes!! I love that they did this for me.

Today is Nick's official last day of school (although he hasn't gone in a week). It's bittersweet seeing this phase of our life quickly coming to a close. Don't talk to me about it, or I'll cry. 

But why should the tradition end? I Venmo'd all the kids a little money this morning so they could buy lunch, a book or a summer gift to celebrate the changing seasons. Summer is the best! ☀️😎


No comments: