Thursday, June 16, 2022

Accidents and Miracles

 Oh no! On Tuesday after we left Pagosa, 
Kristin and Clark were in a serious ATV accident coming home from Sally's Overlook!
We went and visited tonight and took the La-Z-Boy to see if it would make sleeping more comfortable.
She looks pretty beat up and we feel so so blessed she's not more injured than she is.
Life can change in a split second and I am so grateful they are going to be ok!

They slid on the dirt road, losing control and flying 30' over an embankment!
Kristin broke her wrist, cracked two vertabra, has "evidence" of strangulation so her trachea is bruised (probably from flying through the sign and trees), had a punctured lung, and is currently showing off a pretty nasty black eye. Clark sprained his wrist and is battered and bruised but ok.

Several miracles occurred -- primarily, they lived.
But also Kristin's phone stayed in her back pocket and Clark was able to use it to call back to camp.
They miraculously had service and Duncan answered right away.
Kristin was able to walk back to the road with Clark's assistance,
Curtis is super strong and he and Uncle Marty were able to retrieve the ATV,
and Dunc knew to go straight to the Durango hospital because of the seriousness of the injuries.
Later when they followed up with the orthopedic here in Salt Lake,
they said her bones had been set perfectly in Durango. 

For all those miracles and many more, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Today we had Christopher's wrist follow-up and good news! he doesn't need surgery!
It's healing well, but he'll still need to wear his brace for two more weeks.

Funny story, at the ortho, the front desk told Chris his appointment was in the afternoon.
No, his was the morning. They eventually found it.
Then the ortho couldn't find the x-rays they'd just taken.
Finally he said, "Here they are! They spelled your name Kristin instead of Chris!"

No! That's our sister-in-law Kristin who also has a broken wrist and is coming in this afternoon!
Chris Shaeffer and Kristin Shaeffer on the same day, both with wrist injuries.
What are the odds? (Except remember how "Chris'" names were super popular at our last appointment?

Kristin mowing the lawn earlier in the day. I caught her in action when we dropped off the poker chips
on our way to the airport. #iykyk 

1 comment:

LifeOfARealMom said...

I can testify that this story is true. :)

The miracles still blow my mind. I am so grateful that Clark and I are alive. So, What will a new start look like for me? What am I going to do with this second chance in life? I was spared death. Like Angela says, life can change in a second. For me, fortunately, that only means I suddenly won't see my 50th state this year, I am asking/letting my teenage son wash my hair, I am learning to open lids with my left hand alone, and I will work a lot harder to finish my summer classes.

Do I have 40, 50 years to be and do what I want to be and do? 5 years? I want to wear clothes I feel fantastic in. I want to radiate the love of Our Savior Jesus Christ to everyone I come in contact with and I will cherish my time with my husband and children more than ever before. I trust God that He knows me and is in the details of my life. Since it is only He (and his angels) that could have minimized the effects of the crash, I owe Him everything. I will not forget.

Love,
Kristin Shaeffer

P.S. Yay to Chris! In two weeks you will be free of your wrist brace! I'm right behind you. Almost.