Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Be a Peacemaker

 Dan and Nick left to Bakersfield, CA earrrrly this morning 
to practice racing in Nick's new team's car.

I've mentioned before how after traveling or having house guests,
I love having a couple of days to "reclaim" my home.
While the kids were growing up, Mondays were laundry day and I also 
filled the bathroom soaps, replenished TP, and washed towels or bath mats.
And often they'd get their bed made on that day.

It's such a good feeling to start the week with a House of Order.

Not one of these towels are ones that I purchased.
All mine have disappeared and a closet full of someone else's towels have taken their place.

Yesterday I did the Monday chores and today I cut flowers from the garden
then caught up on a bunch of little to-do's.
I was so focused on writing the last six weeks I didn't take time for some of the other stuff,
and we survived and we're gone so much anyway, it doesn't really matter.

But it was so nice to take the time and not have a million other things to do
so I could focus on doing things that make me love our home.



I listened to three podcasts today--two about Come Follow Me and 1 Corinthians 1-7,
and an interview with Rainn Wilson on Sharon Says So.
And all three mentioned becoming Peacemakers. 

I listened to and from a body work session with Ryan (darn elbow and wrist!),
and he also talked about bringing peace into relationships.

John Bytheway & Hank Smith discussed President Nelson's talk on Peacemakers Needed.

Vulgarity, faultfinding, and evil speaking of others are all too common. Too many pundits, politicians, entertainers, and other influencers throw insults constantly. I am greatly concerned that so many people seem to believe that it is completely acceptable to condemn, malign, and vilify anyone who does not agree with them. Many seem eager to damage another’s reputation with pathetic and pithy barbs!

Anger never persuades. Hostility builds no one. Contention never leads to inspired solutions...

...Brothers and sisters, the pure love of Christ is the answer to the contention that ails us today. Charity propels us “to bear one another’s burdens" rather than heap burdens upon each other. The pure love of Christ allows us “to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things"--especially in tense situations. Charity allows us to demonstrate how men and women of Christ speak and act—especially when under fire. -- Pres. Russell M. Nelson

At my bodywork session, Ryan talked about frequencies and chakras and how when we respond to anger with anger, we're reacting on the same frequency which amplifies the anger when the frequencies collide. But if we respond with love and open arms, we are changing the frequency, and the other person's response will often match our own frequency. When those two frequencies collide, love is amplified. 

Don't Miss This also discussed Corinthians 4--the kingdom of God is not in word--good stories, great speakers, feel-good moments. Not just talking about good stuff, but actually living in God's power--healing, miracles, care--love is an action. And those actions always require other people to participate: Care for people. Heal people. Call down miracles for people. 

Love is an action. How you build the kingdom of God is loving others.

On the Sharon Says So podcast, Rainn Wilson shared a story from his book, Soul Boom: Why We Need a Spiritual Revolution he shares a story about an encounter he had with a mentor. When the mentor asked how he was doing, Rainn responded that he was depressed. Pessimistic. Cynical.

The old man grabbed his arm and said, "Don't do it. Don't be cynical. If you're cynical, they win." 
Rainn believes that fostering hope and joy in others may be our highest spiritual calling.

He goes on to say that in political debates, the "winner" is often the person with the most "zingers"/cuts/put-downs. But that's not leadership. We should elect people who have the most sound, prudent and effective policies that positively affect people, whatever you believe that to be.

***

I guess its no coincidence that if this week we're studying Paul in Corinth and I listen to two podcasts about Corinthians, that they'd both address being a peacemaker. However, that a podcast on government which I thought would simply be a humorous Rainn Wilson listen and also my body work guy both bring up the importance of loving others and defying cynicism, I think I should reflect how to implement more loving others in my own life and root out cynicism.
I heard something else recently that gave me the thought to approach church callings as if I'm doing them in partnership with Jesus Christ, called to do his work--which is loving people.
It's not just an assignment or a "yes" on the checklist of being a good church member.
It's an opportunity to love.

No comments: