Friday, January 27, 2023

Movies and Art

Date night getting pedicures,
eating turkey chili at home and watching 
The Fabelmans.

We loved The Fabelmans. 
Based on Steven Spielberg's life as a child and high school senior, 
showing his love for making movies and his family.
Watch the special features afterward. 

**Let's remember two of my Steven Spielberg experiences:
 the time I stood next to him while he was filming 
his children at a Carlthorp Halloween parade. 
And the time at a back-to-school bbq I left my plate on the lunch table to help my kids at the playground, and when I came back they were sitting next to me so I got to sit down right across from him and Kate.
Of course I didn't make any interesting conversation or even say more than hello.
But I've always wondered how strange it must have seemed for me to plop down to what seemed like an abandoned half-eaten plate of food, pick up a piece of bbq chicken and dig in.**

Dan and I are considering making a push to see all the Best Picture nominated shows.
Remember when you had to go to theaters to watch movies?
Now most of them are available in the comfort of our own home.
It's still so weird to me that we don't go out to the movies much anymore.
Wow, Covid. You've made us lazy.

... or healthy, if you consider all the movie theater popcorn we're not eating.


We also went to A Gallery to check out a sculpture from 
an artist, Adam Rees, that I've had my eye on for years.

His animal sculptures decorated with cane made from polymer clay are gorgeous, 
but I didn't have a great place to put something fragile.
Welp, turns out they're not as fragile as I originally thought.

While we were strolling A Gallery last week I asked Greg (who helped us with a lot of art when we moved in to Haven, so thus the first name basis), if they had any of Adam's work. He hadn't seen anything from him in a while but wanted some and determined to follow up with him.
A day later he called to say they had two pieces.

The process of making canes in such intricate detail is mind blowing! 
Check this out!





No comments: