Thursday, January 26, 2023

Kershaw in the Wild

With a fresh dusting of snow each morning, the roads are too slick for walking
and it never warms up enough to melt the ice. 
I haven't been out hiking either so Kershaw isn't getting any exercise.

I can ride the Peloton, but Kershaw doesn't have that luxury, 
so we signed him up with a dog walker and he got two hikes this week
with a pack of six or seven dogs. He had a blast!


In other news, I FINALLY, took the time to get my new computer up and running.
I call it new, but I've had it for A YEAR AND A HALF,
SITTING ON THE CHARGING STATION WAITING for me to use it!

Because, BECAUSE, I was always in the middle of a writing project 
and what if my most updated version didn't transfer?
And don't you hate it when the computer doesn't remember your passwords and logins to all the sites you use and that would way complicate my life and I just don't have time for that right now.

It sat in the new box unopened for months waiting until I had time to transfer the files from my old computer to the new one. Sat there, for maybe a year until one day I decided it was time. 
I was making the leap.

Unfortunately, the cloud transfer didn't work. After a full 24 hours, it stopped transferring.
I tried a second time a few days later, still no luck. 
After a week or so got Dan involved who helped me a third time, we got some files transferred but didn't take the whole system, so nope, the problem wasn't me, it was technology. 
And then I got scared. Like I don't have time to recreate my whole computer life!

He suggested I make a Time Machine backup, download it to a portable drive and then upload it on the new computer. Everything about that sounded as hard as making a Time Machine from scratch. 
Including, finding my portable drive. Where'd I ever put that thing?

So my computer languished at the charging station for another six months or so until a few days ago when I was cleaning out all the cupboards and drawers in the charging station and I found the portable charger.
K, so what do I need to do with this thing again?

With Dan at my side (but let me see if I can figure out how to do it myself), it took less than two hours to get the new (18 months old) computer up and running and all my passwords and logins transferred, no extraneous problems with the exception of one e-mail password but I was able to figure it out a few days later when I had time to really think through it.

And that is somewhat the story of a lot of my life. 
Putting things off, waiting until just the perfect time 
(for good reasons! I just want to ENJOY the process and really savor it!)
thinking something is going to be harder than it is and in the end, worrying about nothing.


No comments: