Friday, January 13, 2023

Emi Time & Skiing

Marty, Lizzie, Emi, Dan & I arrived at the townhouse after dinner, put all the groceries away, settled in and by 9:30 couldn't keep our eyes open. Dan was able to stay awake to welcome Michael when he arrived from New York at 11:00 p.m. 

So we all had a great night's sleep and were ready to hit the slopes this morning. 
Its an epic snow year in Utah--Deer Valley already has a base of 101"
(Alta has 140" -- it's incredible! I'm acting like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't.
Dan's giving me the numbers. But I DO know there's been a TON of snow!)

Lizzie had a morning lesson, Dan, Marty and Michael were hitting the chutes
and I got one-on-one time with Emi.



The lift is just across the street and through a short path. 
No farther than walking out the door of the condo and to the slope on Silver Strike.
(We're staying at 20 Aimee Court in Ironwood. A few of the other homes at the front of the street have a longer walk.)


When Emi arrived on Wednesday, she was NOT happy to be held by anyone except mom and dad. 
But by last night she'd warmed up and now is full of smiles 
and happy to be with anyone who wants Emi time! 

We chatted for a little while until she got tired about 45 minutes after the skiers left. 
Grandma tried all the tricks and finally got her to sleep and then she slept for a solid two hours!


KT and Jenn were skiing at DV today so I invited them over for lunch 
and was excited for them to get to meet Michael and Lizzie and see all-grown-up Marty.

In the afternoon, I skied with KT and Jenn, Dan watched Emi,
and Michael and Marty skied with Lizzie so she could practice her new skills.

Funny story, on the lift up we had a single rider and discovered she too was from Holladay.
We asked her name and where she lived and while we were mulling about why we didn't know her,
she said, "You might know my mom..." 
And there you have it. In spite of our helmets and goggles and ski gear covering most of our features, we were clearly far enough older than this grown woman that we would know her mom, and not her.
And that came a bit of a shock.



On my way back from dropping my friends at the gondola, I had my own chair about five times.
I even skied down a blue mogul run to practice while the bumps were soft.


Emi and I got to chill again while Mom and Dad and Michael were in the hot tub and Dan went to pick up pizzas. The pizzas were not great, so we shouldn't pick up Fuegos again and just order Domino's delivery instead. (I haven't had Domino's in years and it sounds really good...)

We watched See How They Run which was good, not great, but made better with the company and vacation in the mountains after a great ski day.


No comments: