Thursday, September 29, 2022

Tearful Goodbyes

Emi had her two week appointment this morning and passed with flying colors.
7 lbs 11 oz and 20.5 inches. Dr. Jen was super calm and gentle (and young -- or am I old?)
Then we dashed home to get ready for Uncle Chris, Uncle Nick and grandpa to visit!

I just can't get over how cute she is in her giant bows!

We've all been excited to see Chris and Nick hold a new baby for the first time.
They loved loving on her.







Last night Lizzie, Marty and I talked about me going home Friday or Saturday.
Emi had a couple of 5-6 hour sleep nights (!) this week and Dr. Jen said she's officially ok'd to sleep as long as she needs at night without being woken up to eat.
I don't think you ever feel like you're getting enough rest with a newborn,
but things are settling into a comfortable routine and they are ready to have some time with just their little family. 
As I was packing up stuff for the guys to take home so I didn't have to check any luggage on my flight,
we made a universal, last minute decision that I should just go home with them rather than one day later.

And suddenly I we were saying tearful goodbyes to Lizzie, Marty and cute Emi.
Oh man, it felt like leaving Courtney at college or saying goodbye to Chris and Marty as they left on their missions. It was SO SAD! 
I've loved my time helping and holding, bouncing and rocking, and giving advice 
(some of it wrong we found out! ha!).
Every bit as special as holding Emi, was getting to live in Marty and Lizzie's home for almost two weeks and being a part of their family and sweet interactions, playing games (Quixx and SkipBo!), watching New Girl, Severance, Moana and Crazy, Stupid, Love. Talks and eating dinner togethers.
Snacking on Oreos, Butterscotch cookies and Mary Ellen's pumpkin cookies.
Sigh. 
I'll miss them. I get teary every time I think about it.
But they're happy tears, grateful to get to enjoy a part of the beginning of a new family
and immersed in so much love and joy.

And now back home to be with my all grown up babies.

This is pretty much how I feel too! I'm tired!


No comments: