Thursday, September 15, 2022

Emi Rose Shaeffer

At 4:20 a.m. Nick whispered me awake, "Mom. Mom!"
Turning over I quickly pushed away my sleep fog.
"Nick, is everything ok?"
"Check your texts!" he said.

I sat up, "Oh is it the baby?!"
We had a family text from Lizzie at 1:15 a.m. to say her water just broke.
Then another one at 4:18 from Marty saying Lizzie had been admitted to the hospital
and was started on Pitocin. 

Nick left to work out and Dan and I laid awake for a while, 
but there was no way I was going to able to fall back to sleep, so I got up and started my day
to stay busy and pass the time while we waited for Baby Girl Shaeffer to arrive.

Baby bump pic about a week prior to delivery.

We had a "My daughters & Marge" group text going all day along with several other friends and
family texts as everyone waited for news.
Around noon Sheree noticed that Lizzie liked one of her Instagram posts so we thought she was feeling good enough that we could ask for an update so I texted her and Marty.
She left a voice message because (in her words) "I'm too lazy to text!"
Made me laugh because she was in the throes of labor -- that's not being lazy!

She was about 1 cm dilated when she arrived at the hospital but by 4:30 a.m. contractions were pretty strong, so she got her epidural and went to a 5 pretty quickly! Yay!

Fifteen minutes after her voice message we got a text from Marty that she was at a 9 -- about 12:30 p.m.
So she was clipping along super fast.
Then we didn't hear aaaaannnnnyyything for hours and hours and we were on pins and needles 
waiting for the news that she had arrived.

At 3:47 we got a text from Marty that Emi Rose Shaeffer was here!
7 lbs 5 oz.
20 inches long


He didn't know her height and weight when they sent this pic and learned 
they want mom and baby to be together for about an hour. (And dad too, presumably.)



By 6:30 Dan was done with being patient and texted Marty to see if there was a time we could talk to them and get all the details from the day. Obviously they were busy helping Lizzie in recovery and learning how to take care of and feed a baby. (So much to learn!)
Finally we got a call at 8:45 and got a few minutes to catch-up. Yay!

Tomorrow we're flying out for a day trip along with Lizzie's parents -- 
Can't wait to hold sweet Emi!

No comments: