Thursday, September 08, 2022

Kenalog Injection

My microlaryngoscopy with Kenalog injection 
wasn't until 2:30 so I had time to ride my bike,
be outside, listen to a podcast and think happy thoughts.

They say because you're not under general anesthesia you can drive yourself home afterward,
but don't do it. Bring someone with you for emotional support.


They said he could join me in the room, but we both decided that was a bad idea. 
So he stayed in the waiting room until I was done.


I was surprised that the room wasn't private -- 
only a curtain between me and the other hospital "guests." 
Fortunately, that was only for checking in and they took me to a private room for the procedure.

I'm in a straight backed seated position and given lots of tissues,
a blanket in my lap, a throw-up bag and then the whole box of tissues for good measure.

First: numbing spray up both nostrils, then swallow. 
It tastes bad, but also familiar so doesn't bother me as much anymore. 
Then the endoscope is inserted to view the trachea, stenosis and vocal cords.
I really think that some other numbing solution is put directly on the vocal cords with the use of the endocscope, but can't figure out how they'd do that.

A topical numbing cream on my neck then several 
lidocaine shots into my neck for more numbing.
Eventually on the last one, when you gurgle, choke and cough, they know they've numbed your larynx 
and you're good to go for the steroid injection. 
There's a lot of watering eyes and coughing and that last numbing was really scary the first few times I had it because along with the coughing, choking and gurgling, I couldn't breathe and didn't know if/when I would be able to. But now that I know what to expect, it's not great, but not as frightening either.

Just tried to relax, breathe through my nose and stay calm.

After I'm sufficiently numb, I get more shots through the neck -- 
four steroid shots, one in each quartile of the stenosis.
And then, I'm done. 
The whole procedure takes about 30 minutes.

In my very quiet, super raspy voice, I thank the nurse and doctor a few times over, 
because they've seen me through a very traumatic experience and been so nice about it
and I just feel grateful we're on the other side.

They give me an ice pack for my neck, and then I go find Dan, trying to walk slowly and stay calm.
That's the key. If you walk quickly, you need more air, so you breath deeper,
but your vocal cords are numbed and your breathing restricted so you can't get air in as easily, 
your throat is sore and you end up wheezing and gasping and croaking for air kind of like you're dying,
which is super freaky not only for you, but also for the person who's taking you home!

Best to just stay calm. You'll spit blood and mucus the whole way home and are so grateful to have someone else driving. Maybe, I'll get better at this and will be able to drive myself someday.
But not right now.

Once home I took a nap and when I woke up
Dan and Nick were making fresh pasta for dinner. 


They've really mastered delicious pasta and today tried different thicknesses.
Thought they were done then decided to make raviolis too just for the heck of it. 




After dinner I had Dan take me to the store to buy a pint of ice cream 
and I ate the whole thing while we watched Hacks, because I deserved it.

No comments: