Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Helping Hands

I gave my last "care bag" to a homeless man yesterday.
He was walking down Wasatch Blvd with a backpack that had a note posted on the back:
"Hungry. Starvin' Marvin."

I did a quick u-turn, so glad to have something to share with him--and so glad my last bag was going to someone with such an entertaining sign. With my favorite slogan "Starvin' Marvin."

When I first made the care bags last December with Nick, I thought I'd 
hurry and give all ten away quickly. Then my young women wanted to make bags too and suddenly I had four or five more. I felt a little guilty for not getting them all out in December.
But then I realized the point wasn't to give them away as fast as I could.
But to have them on hand when I saw someone who needed help.

I plan to make more so I have them to give away all year round. 

The skate ramp is making progress:


And I finished the first box of photos for scanning. 
Clap! Clap! Clap!!!


And we had a big success for Young Women tonight.
On Sunday we called all the moms of the girls in our class to get their input 
on how their daughters were doing during quarantine.
And to see what insights they had for how we could help.

Most girls are just fine. Keeping in touch with friends via FaceTime or happily home bodies.
But some are lonely.
And NONE want to do a Zoom call. They're tired of having so much work via internet.

And a couple of girls had a lot of ideas for activities.
So I talked to the Class President and gave her an overview.
She was happy to delegate the planning to another of the girls.

The girl who was asked came up with the idea of a selfie scavenger hunt.
While out getting photos, we passed other girls in our class and got to wave and chat a bit.
It was a beautiful night for a walk around the neighborhood and we saw lots of 
neighbors and friends. Dan came with me and it was so so fun!




A perfect example of the leaders backing away and letting the girls plan the activity --
their creativity made a perfect outdoor activity that was something they wanted to do 
-- not on zoom -- 
and gave them an opportunity to be the planners and organizers and feel involved.

I read a thought today saying, 
"What will you take away from this quarantine time?"
Letting the girls lead will be one of them.

No comments: