Monday, April 20, 2020

Be Still

The weird thing about Coronavirus quarantining is my life hasn't changed that much.
It's like summer -- we don't have to get up early 
to make breakfast and lunches and get Nick off to school.
No carpool.

I still go out and ride my bike or hike each day.
But I don't have YW presidency meetings, or jr high graduation planning,
or even wedding planning, for that matter. 
No monthly hair appointments, or waxing, or pedicures or massages.
I don't mind any of those things. But I love not having miscellaneous stuff in my life.


I like having my boys all home. 
How often have we said, "If only I could have one day with everyone home again."
I've said it. And now I've got it. And I'm really enjoying it.

Life is different, of course. I don't want to catch Covid-19. Or infect anyone.
It's pretty weird that everyone wears masks in public.
One month ago I would have never believed I'd go to Target looking like a bandit.
I miss seeing people. And hugging. 


But over the past couple of years, I've felt burned out from planning.
I've been trying to carve time for stillness.
And suddenly I've been given the perfect opportunity for healing.
To just be quiet. To sit back and watch. To listen.
To not worry so much. Or be given things to worry about (church).
And I've realized I'm kind of a home body.

I didn't think I wanted Chris released from being a missionary.
But I was in a panic trying to be a policeman.
And now I don't have to worry about if he spends his time doing spiritual missionary things.

I can just enjoy him being home.
He and his friends started building a skate ramp.
It takes a lot of math and working together.


They are NOT good about social distancing. 
But I think it's practically impossible with how social they are.
They don't go in each other's houses or don't drive in cars with more than one other.
So they're trying to respect the rules.



I love sitting down all together for dinner and no one being in a rush to get somewhere.
Or being rushed getting home from somewhere.
Probably for the first time ever.
It's so calm. So enjoyable. 
Everyone works together to clean up no one is hurrying to rush out the door.

Tonight we had Kristin and Duncan and family over for a 
social distanced bbq and swim party.

It was SO NICE seeing more people we love.
The boys (and Lizzie) played Spikeball and Categories in the pool.
We sat in the hot tub and talked. 
We didn't really distance, but we were in a pool, soaking in bleach essentially.


I know I'm lucky. Dan's business collected most of their rents this month. 
So they're in good shape for now.
We have job security and food storage. A beautiful home and surroundings.
We're not at-risk with health issues.

My children are happy, get along, and willing to help.
Nick and Marty like online school and Chris has always been good at staying busy.

Courtney and Michael are isolated, but have each other and are also creative enough to keep themselves entertained. And they like following rules. And achieving goals.
(If NYC is on lockdown, they can lockdown for as long as they need to!)
Technology keeps us connected.
So for now, I see the ways a do-er like me can benefit from slowing down.
And I'm going to embrace it.

No comments: