Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Happy 27th Marty

 Happy 27 years, Marty! 

Marty was the most beautiful little baby and boy,
so it's no surprise he's such a handsome man.

The two Marty's

He was the best sleeper--taking naps and going to bed at the same time everyday, like clockwork.
With a first child who wasn't so consistent, and without anyone else to help at bedtime,
I've always seen his sleeping habits as a tender mercy. 
Like God knew I needed this child at this stage in my life.

Marty's 1-year-old birthday at the Bronx Zoo

Especially since he also came with a BIG personality! 
So full of energy, a loud voice (like his mom) and wanting to go-go-go!

He's always loved games and so have I, so he was playing board games,
and even Yahtzee and Rummikub from a really young age.
It was so great to have a little one that could add and times when he was only four.
The only problem was, he got really upset if we didn't let him go first.

I didn't think this was very fair to Courtney, but when I talked to her preschool 
teachers about it, they said, "the youngest always goes first," 
and that solved those problems.

Speaking of his preschool teachers, I'm also convinced that us finding Crestwood was 
another tender mercy of God directing our lives.

We needed a place full of big motor skill learning and outdoor play
with teachers who were well versed in child development--
never getting upset at inappropriate behavior,
instead reminding parents that those things were normal, children were still learning, 
and teaching children and parents loving, simple ways to redirect.

("Hitting hurts. You can stamp your foot or clench your fists if you're angry...
...or draw a picture or use your words, or all those things.")


One of my favorite stories is when my mom was in town helping the kids get ready for bed
and Marty spit toothpaste all over the mirror, shouting, "Fireworks!"
My mom just laughed and thought it was the most clever thing ever!

The Tarzan theme song was "my Marty" song.
He was two when the Disney movie came out and when
we saw a preview in the theaters, that song about carrying for a little boy 
just hit me hard and made me cry buckets.
Bekah was Marty's babysitter on Fridays when I was a working parent at Crestwood,
and she's as attached to the song as I am--it still makes her think of Marty.

When Marty was five and going to another year of preschool, we talked about what 
class he'd like to do when school got out at noon.
He didn't choose karate, or more sports. He chose math. 
He had a workbook and even though he couldn't write the numbers yet,
he could tell us the answers. 



One thing I've always admired about Marty is what a loyal, kind friend he is.
He gives people the benefit of the doubt and really cares about other's needs and feelings.

He and Lizzie are such a cute couple
and I love how they actively care for each other.

Marty and Lizzie make a great team!

Watching Marty become a father has been one of the sweetest experiences 
of my own parenthood journey.
He's a confident dad and in love with his little girl.
He was hands-on from day one and he knows her so well.
It's so fun for me to see how he loves to make her laugh.



Happy Birthday, Marty! 
We love you!

No comments: