Thursday, February 08, 2024

Mazeltof!

Tonight we went to Fiddler on the Roof at Hale with Marge.
I was surprised that Dan hadn't seen it before.
The music was a staple of my childhood.
Michelle and I listened to about six records on repeat, and Fiddler was one of them:
Fiddler on the Roof
Oliver
Sound of Music
Saturday's Warrior
My Turn on Earth
Shadrach, Meshach and Abidnago

We danced and sang and acted out the parts.

Its been a while since I've thought about the Fiddler songs,
I knew three without looking:
Sunrise, Sunset (which I used to think was boring, but now made me cry).
Tradition
If I Were a Rich Man.

When we looked over the songlist, I knew sooo many more and could sing a bunch.
And when we saw the show, of course I knew every single one.

Even realized where Michelle and I developed a passion for Russian dancing
and spent hours trying to learn the squat kicks.

Fiddler was filled with jokes and humor and much funnier than I remembered.
But the whole thing was familiar and it was also clear why we loved it so much.


We all loved the show and all agreed
it was the best Hale show we've seen in a long time.
I didn't remember that it was non-stop fun.
No wonder we loved it as kids!
The only thing I wish was different was having the original Tevye and Golde.


Before the show, the three of us met Chris for dinner near the U.
I'd put Friday in my calendar for Hale and fortunately checked the e-mail yesterday and realized
our tickets were actually for Thursday night. We'd planned to meet Chris for dinner Thursday,
 so we kept the plan and Marge got to join us, which made dinner even more fun.

Chris is doing fantastic! He is juggling a full, challenging schedule 
and is also working three jobs plus looking for an internship.
He works for the t-shirt business and has two great leads on two huge accounts,
so he's super excited about that and doing really great and being proactive and following up.

He works for Cottonwood answering calls when prospective tenants have questions.

And one of his favorite teachers asked him to be his TA.
He's helping Master's students in the entrepreneurial program with their financial models.
He learned how to model at Cottonwood last summer and then had a class last semester where they worked on the same concepts.

He's really been helpful for several students and his teacher gave him the best compliment--
at first he was watching Chris help a student, then started packing his briefcase and said,
"You're in good hands with Chris. He clearly knows what he's doing."

Isn't it the best feeling when you realize you're becoming really good at something? 

***

This sums up how we all felt after our dinner at Rio Grande.


No comments: