Sunday, June 25, 2023

Outdoor Movie

Michael and Katie invited the family over to their home for an outdoor movie night.
We all are pretty impressed with our family that after spending five days together,
we're excited about getting together again!

They have the perfect yard because it's tiered so great seats for everyone,
and the perfect movie set-up. Plus Katie cooks a mean burger.
(Movie: Isle of Dogs -- which I've been dying to see.)

We got to see Charlie and Audrey who weren't able to come to the reunion,
so that was fun to give them a hug and share some love with them too.


On the way over, Dan and I came across a car accident just after it happened.
An older man, from one of the cars involved, was wandering through the busy intersection, 
clearly disoriented. Dan pulled over to help him. 
I went to the other car with three hysterical children and a sobbing young mom.

I was able to take the 7 and 8 year old and get them to the curb, put my arms around them and let them cry and talk all about what happened. Pretty soon the mom and her one-year-old were next to me and they needed hugs as well. Another couple found trail mix with M&M's which helped calm the toddler.

They were all traumatized and for a few minutes I got to be the person in the right place at the right time 
with skills that were helpful (calm, listening, validating, and old enough to feel like someone they could trust.) I kind of felt like it was a privilege.

No comments: