Sunday, June 04, 2023

On Vacation

Last night our flight was delayed three hours and we didn't get into the city until 4:00 a.m.
It was the perfect excuse to skip church. 
Except with so much travel the last six months, 
I haven't been regularly, and I've missed that part of my week, so we went. 

We snuck in late and I bent to whisper to a woman sitting next to two empty chairs to ask if she was saving them. When she looked up to respond, it was one of my best friends from when we lived here 25 years ago! She's also just visiting for the weekend! We gave each other the biggest hug, but she had to slip out early so I'm sorry to say we didn't get a chance to catch up. But imagine being able to see an old friend, even if it was just for a hug. Like seeing her in a dream.

After church, Dan and I navigated the foot traffic on Columbus, busy from the farmer's market, flea market, sidewalk vendors and people at Sunday brunch. Everyone was enjoying the sunshine and mild weather and we were so glad to be in New York together, on vacation and outside with everyone else. 


After a quick nap, we met Courtney, Michael and Carine at Momofuku for a late lunch, then came back home to rest again. (Man, that almost-red-eye really wiped us out.) 
By 6:30, I found us a movie (in a theater!) to get us out of the house. 

We dined on apples and string cheese for dinner walking to the show,
"You Hurt My Feelings," with Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I loved seeing her lead, and I liked the film. 
The stakes were never really established and I had some questions at the end, but go ahead and see it if you like her, especially if you've been married 20 years or more.


We were surprised at regular seats in the theater -- not recliners. We've been spoiled.
Especially since most of the world watches movies from the comfort of their home couches these days.


All day we've been giddy being on vacation. Alone. And no one at home to worry about.
It feels soooo good!

No comments: