Sunday, May 22, 2022

Kindness Matters

Over the last few weeks, I've been on the receiving end of so many compliments.
Quick compliments from passers-by about such trivial things that I've forgotten most of what was being appreciated except for two I received on two different days from two different aged people -- 
a woman in her 20's and a woman in her 60's.

As I walked out of the grocery store, a woman on the way in
pointed at my shoes, her eyes big as if she'd never seen something so amazing before,
 and her smile huge and sincere, warm and friendly,
"Cute yellow shoes!"
The slides with the tassles. They are cute. 
But getting recognized by strangers multiple times?
Something is different.


These random compliments on my outfit, hair, smile, shoes, sunglasses, or whatever is noticed,
 lift my chin a little higher and put an extra bounce in my step.
But the biggest effect is that I've been more vocal in complimenting others or offering help.
I've noticed this wave of kindness week after week for at least a month.

Just one example:
Checking out at the grocery store, the checker is extra chatty and trying to be extra helpful. 
I compliment her helpfulness.
As I walk away, an older gentleman smiles at me as I pass.
After loading my groceries in my car, I ask the neighboring car if they want me to take their cart back with mine, to which they are overly grateful.
That's when on my way back the stylish woman compliments my yellow shoes.

It's like this spring has brought not only new buds on trees but renewed effort 
to enjoy the beautiful humans we share this planet with. 
Love and appreciate our similarities and our differences that make our existence together
rich, complex, extraordinary.

We're emerging from the pandemic, smiles finally visible, retreating less, embracing togetherness more. 
We're less suspicious of potential disease, over (what was for me welcome) the break from humanity and appreciating our fellow brothers and sisters and celebrating our journey together.

Let's keep it going. We don't have to be perfect, but lets be better. 

From the lines of a childhood primary song:
"...so I say to myself, 
remember this, 
kindness begins with me."

No comments: