Thursday, January 23, 2020

Post Surgery

Surgery went well on Wednesday. We had to be at the hospital at 6:15 a.m. so it was an early start for Dan. I didn't mind so much since I knew I was going right back to sleep. We were in the waiting room for 30 minutes, but when we were called back, everything got busy. Change to gown, blood draw, IV, meet with doctor, with anesthesiologist's assistant and then the anesthesiologist. I think it was 7:45 when they took me back and being rolled down the hall is the last thing I remember.

At 9:45 they called Dan to let him know surgery was over.

I first became conscious back in my room. A nurse was there and I asked if I could go back to sleep or if I needed to wake up. She said I could sleep. The next time I woke up I asked what time it was. 11:50. She said I needed to start waking up.

The doctor came in and said I was a bleeder and very sensitive to narcotics. Now I'm curious for more details. The good news is I didn't bleed so much that I had to stay overnight in the hospital. And I know the anesthesia puts me out. I remember after my trachea dilation being in a post-op room and the nurse saying, "You need to breathe, Angela." Maybe I'm a deeper sleeper than they expected. I've got to remember to ask at my follow-up.

I slept the whole way home. Dan helped me up the stairs and I crawled into bed and slept the rest of the day. Although he came and got me up every two hours so I could walk down the hall. Also, I had a catheter which was a little tricky and a nuisance, but in the grand scheme of things, not that big of a deal.  I was a little nauseous all day and dizzy. But mostly really tired and fortunately able to sleep soundly. Even lifting my head off the pillow felt exhausting.

That night he brought me crackers and cheese and we got caught up on This Is Us. I was ready to sleep again that night, but then woke up at 3:30 and was awake the rest of the night. I finally got up (Dan heard me and walked with me upstairs to my office) and put my feet in the massager so I could relax.

I think one reason I was so restless (besides sleeping for an entire 24 hours), was counting down the hours until I could get the catheter out. Dan had been the emptier the previous day and was a champ for not being disgusted and just being matter-of-fact about it. But after he helped empty it that last time, I was able to finish the job privately. I removed the catheter slowly. It was a little scary, but not so bad after all. Then I had to remove the vag-pak which also was a little scary. But in reality it's just a long strip of gauze that you slowly, gently pull and pull and pull. My doc had warned me it was like a magician pulling scarves out of a hat because it will keep going and going. She was right. I told my sisters it was about 3 feet long. And I wanted to measure it. And I still do. I'm going to see if I can...

9 FEET LONG!!!

The cleaning ladies were here in the morning, and I just crawled back in bed without the sheets on or anything and pulled the covers over me and listened to my podcast and chatted with Nancy. I feel like Clara, "I'm weak and shaky."  I came downstairs and had my green drink and read my scriptures. Then when they were gone I crawled back in bed until 2:00.

I haven't been in any pain and haven't needed any pain killers. But by the afternoon, I was feeling sore. A bit like having a baby. But instead of a head coming out of you, it was probably a doctor's fist going into you. I took some Tylenol to be more comfortable.

I talked to Courtney for a while in the afternoon. She's having fun looking at her hand with a sparkly ring on it. Also, while I was talking to her, the milk of magnesia did its thing and I had to hang up on her. It was literally a Bridesmaids (the movie) moment. #iykyk
But no complaints --  I'm always happy to regain normality after surgery!

I was up the rest of the day, but watched TV in the evening while Nick and Dan were gone. I'm hoping that by staying awake, I'll sleep better tonight. We watched a couple episodes of The Crown and went to bed.

Oh But we did have a phone chat with Rhonda and Bob, Michael's parents. They're so fun! We mostly just gushed about how much we love each other's kids and how excited we are to be part of our families and their families and all our families can be part of each other. And that we support Courtney and Michael in however they want their wedding day to play out. They're just enjoying being engaged for now. But hopefully will start figuring out a venue and date in the next week or two.

No comments: