Thursday, May 31, 2018

First Day (3rd Day) Summer Traditions

Bike ride first thing this morning. Felt so good! Love summer!

And then worked with Cliff and Chad and Louis and Heidi to figure out a solution on how we have to change the rock wall that is currently measuring to hit directly on the window!
Somehow the pool house was built about 2 feet too far forward... Never ending things to figure out.

Cliff was in a bad mood for the first time ever (maybe second), 
but it happens so rarely it made me laugh. (And he wasn't mad at me.)

It's good to document a photo of Cliff and Louis because they're practically like family.
Here they are with strings so we can show our landscape architect the problem and
hope he can help us with a solution.
And then my dream came true in keeping my summer tradition alive of 
taking the kids to lunch and shopping on the first day of summer.

The tradition actually started with me taking all the kids to the bookstore on the first day to choose four books (or more). Back in the Carlthorp days, the kids had books they had to read over the summer. Nicholas had summer books at Waterford too. We went to the small local bookstore for several years with employees who had all sorts of ideas for good books. 
Other years we went to Barnes and Noble.

This year I didn't even bother asking if they wanted to go to the bookstore. Because they don't. 
BUT... they were happy to go shopping for t-shirts and swimsuits! And lunch of course.

But on Tuesday, the original day we planned, Nick made plans with friends who he hadn't been able to spend time with for the entire year. So we postponed until today. 

TJ Maxx was our first stop because they always have great deals. Then to Mr. Mac so Chris could try on shoes that we're actually sending to Marty for his birthday. California Pizza Kitchen for lunch. Finally, the mall to check out the new Zara, look in Pac Sun, buy underwear at American Eagle and a pair of shorts at Aeropostale. Rounding it out with body wash at Bath & Body Works.

I'm so happy the boys were willing to indulge me in continuing our First Day of Summer Tradition!

Me: Thanks, Chris for coming with us, even though you didn't have much you needed. I'm sure Nick had a lot more fun with you along!
Chris: Mom, I always have fun being with you. Even when it's just me and you. So I'm sure Nick does too. But it was fun being with all of us too.
(That kid really knows how to make a person feel good!! No seriously, its one of his talents!!)

Me trying to get a quick selfie for documenting on the blog. But not wanting to embarrass the boys.
That's my, "I think I can do this" face.

No comments: