Friday, May 04, 2018

Timely Letter



We woke up this morning to a letter from Marty! Yay! What a great surprise! They got to go to the temple on Thursday so that was their p-day. (Instead of Monday.) He sounds happy and excited about new investigators and had photos of their district at the temple and eating Brazilian BBQ (one of the other missionaries is from Brazil). Cutie. I love him.

And what's really neat is in his letter he said "I love the temple! It's been a year since I've been able to go and it was great to go back! ... Today's scripture is D&C 110 because of the temple. If you want extra credit, you can read 109 before 110. Love you guys! Mission life is great! Go to the temple! 10/10 recommend!"



The first thing that struck me is how timely his enthusiasm for the temple is. Because on Sunday Courtney made the decision that she would start preparing to take out her endowments! She has an appointment with her bishop on Sunday. I've wondered if she was going to be ready soon, but I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want her to feel pressure that it was something we thought she should do. I wanted it to be totally her decision. But she's had some neat experiences with friends talking about their experiences and how much they love the temple. When Courtney commented, I feel like I'm hearing perspectives I haven't heard before. Her friend wisely answered, "You probably have, you just haven't been ready to go so it hasn't been that significant to you before."

There's more to the story, but that's her story to tell. I was just really pleased to hear it's something she's preparing for and loved how timely it was that Marty was one more confirmation of the joy you find in the temple.

The other neat thing is I decided to read D&C 109 and 110 this morning for my scripture reading. 109 is the dedicatory prayer for the Kirtland Temple. In it Joseph Smith alludes to the sacrifice and obedience the Saints have shown by building the temple. And also to the persecution they've endured. He asks the Lord to confound their enemies. To stop their lies and slanders against the people who are suffering from the persecution.

But we know that the persecution didn't end. It got worse.  In fact they were run out of Ohio and then Missouri and then Illinois. They even lost possession of the Kirtland Temple.

This made me think of Christopher's plight from yesterday. Why doesn't God always answer our righteous prayers? What's the point of trying?

It made me think of Joseph Smith's pleading prayer in Liberty Jail three years later. D&C 121:1-6:

"O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place? How long shall thy hand be stayed and thine eye, yea thy pure eye, behold from the eternal heavens the wrongs of thy people and of thy servants, and thine ear be penetrated with their cries? Yea, O Lord, how long shall they suffer these wrongs and unlawful oppressions, before thine heart shall be softened toward them, and thy bowels be moved with compassion toward them? O Lord God Almighty, maker of heaven, earth, and seas, and of all things that in them are, and who controllest and subjectest the devil, and the dark and benighted dominion of Sheol--stretch forth thy hand; let thine eye pierce; let thy pavilion be taken up; let thy hiding place no longer be covered; let thine ear be inclined; let thine heart be softened and thy bowels moved with compassion toward us. Let thine anger be kindled against our enemies; and, in the fury of thine heart, with thy sword avenge us of our wrongs. Remember thy suffering saints O our God; and thy servants will rejoice in thy name forever."

The Lord's beautiful response, vs. 7-10
"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes. Thy friends do stand by thee and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hearts. 

So I texted Chris that I was reading Marty's scriptures and it reminded me that even Joseph Smith had the same questions as Chris did. And I sent the D&C 121:1-10 scriptures. (Which I'm sure they had extra street cred because they were influenced by Marty's recommendation.)

What a tender mercy to receive Marty's letter when we did! Maybe that's how God works. We want answers/peace/help/comfort NOW, but he knows what's best for us. And sometimes later is better. We were disappointed to not get a letter from Marty on Sunday, but receiving it on Friday was actually better for us.

My mom used to say, "Be thoughtful about what you pray for. Do you want what you want or what Heavenly Father wants for you?" I have faith that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and I want what he wants. I am so grateful we can turn to him in prayer. I know he hears us and answers us. I am grateful that this morning I received answers that could help my son.

We are blessed.


I love Section 122 as well. It's one of my favorites because it seems so specific and personal. An evidence that God is acutely aware of what we're going through. He actually seems a little bit sad and frustrated as he talks to Joseph Smith. A little bit how I feel when my kids are complaining about something that I can see the bigger picture and I'm lecturing a bit. He builds his argument, exhibits his awareness (possibly even citing experiences that other prophets he loves have endured). It seems like The Lord's heart is breaking a little bit as he tries to make Joseph understand. I love the poetry of that section.

vs. 7: "And if thou shouldest be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the north wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

"All things shall give thee experience."

No comments: