Thursday, May 03, 2018

Postponed

What?! We had the Eagles concert we were all going to tonight but it got cancelled! I'd surprised Dan with tickets for Valentines' Day and we were taking Chris and Nick too. But yesterday Don Henley got sick and the concert has been postponed. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's now on a Sunday!  So bummed we can't go!!!

Look what Dan and I woke up to this morning! But they haven't found our tulips in the front yard yet. Fingers crossed they don't!


The deer wanted to check out our new furniture too!

Tulips!
Dan and I are both frustrated with our weeks. I've had so many interruptions with house stuff and haven't been able to focus on what I'd really like to be doing--writing. Today we had an early-morning landscape walk-about. Then during that I got a call to see if I could take an hour to make some more landscaping choices. I felt like I should focus on it so it got done, but I meant to go walking with KT today at 9:00 ish. The one hour meeting ended up taking 3 and I ended up putting KT off until 1:00!! I'm lucky she was still able to go because I really needed a friend to vent to! And the exercise. She's a good friend. (And she told me she read my blog the other day looking for info on our trip to Europe. So shout out KT if you ever see this! I love you!)

Dan's deal at work feels like two steps forward, one step back. Also he feels like he's having to spend so much time helping solve other people's problems at work rather than going out and chasing deals like he'd prefer to be doing.

Some days are like that. Some weeks are like that.

On the flip side, we sat together for 30 minutes on our new backyard patio furniture. We talked and vented and imagined the summer when we don't have construction vehicles in our yard. The sun was still up, the day was warm. Flowers were blooming and our Japanese maple is absolutely stunning. Birds were chirping and the deer didn't eat our tulips. Yet. Life is good. Even if it isn't perfect.

Nick was at lacrosse and we had to go out to dinner because someone was walking through our house with our builder, Lance. It was nice to just be with Chris, especially because he was really bummed. He didn't do as well on the ACT as he was hoping. Especially after all the hard work he'd put into it. Also, he's studied for the Auto Shop State Exam and felt like he knew everything in the study guide, but got 79.4%. And 80% is passing. Anything below is failing. And it affects his school grade too. He was feeling very discouraged. And upset that he studied and worked hard and prayed to do his best and didn't get the score he wanted.

Dan talked to him about his work and often the deals they work hard on don't get done either. And it's super discouraging. I kept my mouth shut because often I say something like, "You should have worked harder for longer," and that is NOT the right thing to say at that time. And I always feel bad later. Because I realize that a lecture isn't going to make a teenager say, "Gee, Mom, you're right. Now that you've taught me this lesson, I'm going to make some changes." No. They will say, "You suck and you don't understand me and I hate you." I even said a prayer, "Help me to keep my mouth shut!" And I did.  So I just listened. And when I'm listening, I do a better job at sympathizing. I don't have to make everything better. Just listen. And understand that it hurts to work hard and be disappointed.

No comments: