Saturday, August 24, 2024

Two Roads Diverged

PRP update: My arm has become less stiff. I could feed myself yesterday.
It hasn't hurt at all. A few times its throbbed for a few minutes, but went away.
I haven't needed any painkillers. Maybe a different body part might be more painful.

Courtney & Michael had to leave after lunch.
But first, in the morning we all walked to the general store together.



Signs of the elk bedding down on our property last night.

After shopping for souvenirs, Michael, Courtney, Taylor, Cole & Greta turned back home
and Dan and I continued around the loop.
After a little while, Dan started his run and I continued walking.

About the time I was passing old camp, loud, loud thunder was rumbling all over!
The kids drove by on the way to C & M's wedding spot
and asked if I wanted a ride since it seemed like it would start to rain soon.
I declined, thinking I didn't mind getting a little wet,
but was worried for them heading toward the direction of the dark clouds and thunder.

By the time I passed Marty's cabin, the thunder was so dang loud and long, I was getting a little nervous. 
I knew Dan would be coming to find me,
but was also making a plan for how Kershaw should save me if I got struck by lightning.

Do you think he'd be smart enough to jump on my chest to get my heart started?
Then run to Marty's barking and jumping against the cabin door to get Marty's attention?
It felt like the best plan I could hope for.

Thunder thunder everywhere

When I got to Green's gate, I decided to cut across his pasture to get home sooner.
The chain was on the ground and the lock undone and I was pretty sure the old man with the lame mules had come by to clear the way to help me get home faster.

Meanwhile, the kids were taking photos at the wedding overlook
until Courtney noticed Taylor's long hair standing on end! 
They booked it back to the car to head home.


When I was halfway across the open field, lightning struck right behind the house, thunder crashed immediately after, and the downpour began. I started running and praying my guts out that I wouldn't get struck by lightning as it now seemed like a very real possibility. And where was Dan?

Suddenly I saw him drive across our road just at the same time Courtney & crew
pulled up the road. They stopped when they met each other and I knew they were wondering where I was.
I started jumping up and down and shouting, but was too far away for them to hear or see me.

Dan took off, and just after he pulled away, the kids saw me.
Also the rain stopped, and I feel sure I prayed it to a halt.
Unfortunately, even though they honked their horn and flashed their lights, Dan didn't notice them.
(And of course there's no cell phone service.)

I got home safely but now Dan was out driving the loop to find me.
Eventually he came home, the rain started pounding again but we were all safe.

It stopped when it was time for Courtney & Michael to leave and they were able to start their journey to Denver with clear skies.

When Greta napped, Cole and Taylor went for a drive--hoping to go to Sally's Overlook,
but the road was really washed out. So they went to Williams instead.
We had a lovely evening talking all about planes and engineering.
Best comment of the evening was from Cole (who is a mechanical engineer with his master's degree working for Boeing), "I don't think you realize how smart Courtney is."
Taylor: "They're her parents, they know."
Cole: "No. If you haven't taken those classes, you really can't know how hard they are and how well she did in them." 

No comments: