Sunday, July 30, 2023

Fantasies and Reality

I made so much progress on my revisions last week, working late every night, even on Friday.
I planned to really hit it Saturday afternoon and fantasized going to bed with revisions complete on the first 200 pages and only 100 more to go.

 I'd spend Sunday morning focusing on spiritual nourishment then have Dan read and report Sunday night.
 It was a wonderful dream. Do you like to imagine little fantasy each night as you go to sleep?

We went to Xochitl's one-year-old birthday party on Saturday afternoon and 
then Dan and Nick headed to the track for the Enduro race and I went upstairs to my office to get to work.
And I couldn't think straight or see straight.
I tried skipping a chapter and tried going back a few. 
Everywhere I looked I saw crappy writing and plot threads that fell apart.
I tried writing transitions but they were plodding and stiff.

I was so discouraged I just quit.
But this was a good kind of quitting.
The kind when you accept you just need time away from the work.
You don't suck, you're just burnt out. 

I watched four episodes of Gilmore Girls and went to bed. 

We went to afternoon church at the 28th ward for a farewell 
so Dan could sleep in since he didn't get home until 2:30 a.m.

I spent the morning reading scriptures and FaceTiming with Courtney and Michael.
After church we FaceTimed Marty and Lizzie and Emi,
then Morgan and Chase came over for dinner.
It was a wonderful break I didn't realize I needed.

My friend shared this Banksy quote with me which describes the weekend perfectly:



No comments: