Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Bumps in the Road

My eyes were still so worn out from yesterday, I couldn't see my computer screen.
I tried changing the size, then got my reading glasses but in the end had to take out my contacts and wear my reading glasses. Also, I thought I kept smelling gas.
I smelled it from time to time yesterday too, but today I couldn't ignore it.

Dan checked it out for me and realized the pilot light on the grill had gone out.
And now I think I was so tired yesterday because I was getting asphyxiated while I worked.


After a couple of hours, Erin dropped by and Dan and I took a break after she left for lunch.
In the middle of lunch I felt a twinge in my back, exactly like the time I threw my back out.
I immediately stood up and walked around. Took some Advil. Changed my position.

Realized sitting on the couch in the same position for so many hours was tweaking my back.
So I took an enforced break.
Laid on the floor and read for a while. 
Then napped.
Then sat in a chair with a back at the table and worked until 5:00
when Dan and I had scheduled to go hiking to the arch on Cimarrona.


My back was still wonky, but walking actually helps a TON
and it felt great while we hiked.


The arch was much farther than we'd expected.
4.0 miles on my watch. 3.5 on his. 
We got there by 7:35 even though we'd planned on turning back at 7:00.
We ate our sandwiches (actually, the grapes tasted way better after hiking for two hours than a sandwich)
and booked it back trying to beat sunset.



The wildflowers were gorgeous (although not as many varieties as in early July)
and the sun set at 8:25, 30 minutes before we go to the bottom.
Dan carried bear spray and I carried rocks, just in case we encountered any wild animals.
We ran quite a bit, walked really fast, and just as we thought we'd have to turn on our phone flashlights for light, we reached the bottom.


We commented that we didn't talk much either way, 
but we both enjoyed being lost in our thoughts in such a beautiful place,
clearing our minds while we focused on the challenge of hiking,
happy that we were together and didn't have to fill the space with words.

No comments: