Thursday, March 09, 2023

Families are Forever

Michelle and Ethan, Morgan and Chase (also Louie, a friend for Kershaw), 
and Jay Paul joined us for dinner last night.

Michelle and Ethan were visiting colleges and had an hour before catching a flight back to Chicago --
just enough time for Dan's trip-tip for dinner and catching up on the latest.
Our babies are going to college! 
Our big kids are adulting!

After they left, Dan and I took Jay home. 
He invited us in to visit and for the first time in years of gathering,
we learned more about his life, career and siblings.
Usually when he comes to our home, we have a big crowd and we've never
talked about his memories or things that are important to him. 
We loved that he wanted to visit and share his life and home with us.

The coolest thing about families, is you don't only get a new sibling,
you get their parents too. 
My family always felt so loved by Marty and EC--not just the family as a unit,
but each brother and sister as individuals.
(Every time we get together for the last 30 years, almost the first question from Marty and EC was,
"Tell my about your sisters and brother."
And they were interested in all the details.

I've felt the same way towards my sisters and brother's in-laws.
Some I know better than others. When we get together at family functions, I feel like they're happy to see me. Like I'm important to them too. And that love has always meant a great deal to me.


No comments: