Sunday, May 30, 2021

Four Years

Visited my Dad's grave for the first time.
Seemed like a good thing to do on Memorial Day weekend, especially since 
Nick, Marty and Lizzie could come with us too.

I wished I had begonias, but clipped some roses and a few hydrangeas from the yard
which turned out really pretty. And gave him a shishito pepper plant too since Dan bought eight, which is way too many, and knew my dad would get a kick out of it. He loved anything spicy.


Someone else had been there and brought mums and another plant as well, 
so his spot was well decorated and colorful. 

Once we were there, we didn't quite know what to say or do. 
I remembered from visiting graves with my family 
that you could pull up a little vase out of the ground, so we did. 
I've always liked secret compartments!

(Grandma and Marge is who I remember visiting the cemetery with, finding family markers and 
making impression rubbings with crayons and paper.)

Someone asked how old Grandpa was when he died so I told the story of gathering and singing for his 75th birthday, and the awkward trail off at "and many moo...."
I feel like he would definitely want us to laugh about it now.

No comments: