Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Comforting Routines

I had my throat injection today and Chris got his reassignment! 
He's going to Wichita, Kansas. Leaving July 1.
I got an e-mail from the Stake President right as my doctor showed up.
He was as excited as I was for me to call Chris and talk to him.
But when I did, Chris hadn't heard anything about it yet.
(I'd assumed the Stake President was going to call him directly, but he didn't. Which is weird.)

I forwarded him the e-mail, then had to turn off my phone because we were getting started.
Later I found out the e-mail hadn't gone through because the hospital didn't have great internet.
But he was able to call Dan and hear from him.

Knowing what to expect for this procedure was a good thing and a bad thing.
The bad was I was way more nervous this time going into it.
But there were a few little things that just doing them made me feel in control and comforted.

This necklace:


A second application of deodorant because I was sweating like crazy from being nervous.
(Finally found a natural deodorant that works well and and smells great.)


Seeing my little "love you mummy" tray that Courtney bought me in England helps.


With my five minutes to spare, I also folded some winter sweaters and put them away.
(Like I said, taking control of things that I can control is comforting.)

Hi!


Tray of tools
The long black tube is the camera that goes up my nose, around the bend, and down past my vocal cords to where the stenosis is located.

I think the long syringe in the back is what they use to shoot numbing medicine both in my nose and down into my throat. The first one up my nose isn't too bad. I know to swallow it so I get extra numb.
The second round after the camera is in place goes farther down my throat and makes me cough. 
And then it gargles the rest of the time and I want to cough to clear it, but I can't, so I have to breathe and just use mind over matter to stay calm. 

And at some point I can't breathe for a couple of seconds. 
But I knew that was coming and I knew it wouldn't last long.
So that part was helpful to know what to expect.

In fact, I even opened my eyes and watched the tv showing him injecting the site.
He does quite a few injections in multiple spots.


When its over, they take the camera out and I can't really talk,
but I say "thank you" because I'm so relieved its over and I'm so grateful they're so calm.

Then I cough and spit up blood and the nice nurse is super patient 
and tells me to take all the time I need.
And I wait until my coughing is under control because it would be weird to be coughing in the hospital corridor when a cough can mean a deadly virus these days.

They give me an ice pack for my neck and I walk to my car.

This time Dan was there to drive me home which was super helpful.
Because I can't breathe deeply and then I panic which makes it worse.
So I have to close my eyes and try to relax and be calm. Which is helpful.
Until I have to cough and spit and can't breathe deeply and the panic starts again.
And then I cry but I can't breathe and it makes it worse.

But when I got home I went straight to bed and propped myself up.
Pretty soon (like within 15 minutes) the numbing wore off and I felt much, much better.

No throat wasn't nearly as sore, nor was my neck!
I'm trying to talk less and maintain a even voice (not talking loud at all).
It's made a huge difference!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW! That is intense! You describe your experience with a lot of detail. That is rough!