Monday, January 07, 2019

Two Hour Church

Two-hour church, I mean, what's not to like? I actually didn't mind 3 hour church before. I enjoyed both Sunday School and Relief Society (or Young Women's). However, what I've long disliked was Primary Sharing Time. We've had some fun ones over the years, but I never understood why the kids had to have a lesson period, then come into singing time and have another lesson. Some of these people are three-year-olds!!

Yep, I remember that period of time where we were encouraged to implement songs into the lessons. But quite frankly, it was way more interesting to implement some short lessons into the songs. Being in the Primary Presidency wasn't so bad because you could walk out and work on Primary business or just simply walk out. But it was torture being a teacher and having to sit with your class trying to keep them quiet for that hour! And to listen to the extra lesson. Like I said, sometimes they were fun. SOMETIMES.

I didn't ever expect two-hour church, but during my primary years (12 of the first 14 we were in Utah!) I came up with a detailed plan--if it was ever up to me--of getting rid of sharing time and using the full time for singing time plus opening exercises and a short spiritual thought. So you can imagine my relief on behalf of all primary workers everywhere when they made the change.

It was crazy how church went by so fast. Testimony meeting then Sunday School and home. Weird. I was a little worried about how we were going to spend the rest of the day -- not because of two-hour church, but because of the early church schedule. Well, I wasn't worried for me, because I have all sorts of things I want to do on Sunday. Church books, scriptures, blogging, games, letter to Marty, family movie... I was worried about what we could do with Nick. Chris is a teen. He takes naps every Sunday. Nick doesn't.

When we talked about how to spend our time doing activities that kept the Sabbath Day Holy, Nick's comment was, "But I'm the youngest so I don't have anyone to do anything with." We volunteered to do play games with him, but he politely declined. "Board games will be more fun when Marty gets home." It's true. They really will. (I wonder if he'll be around on Sundays or want to be with his friends? And will they want to be here playing video games? And how do we parent video games on Sundays if they're all adults? Hmmm.)

In the end we came up with a good list of stuff to do. Which basically, we remembered is what we did two years ago when we had morning church: FHE, bake a dessert, family hike, board games, nap, practicing, homework, watch a Disney movie (that Nick hasn't seen before--tons!), clean room and read. We ended up compromising and Nick watched a TV show for 20 min. with the agreement that he would then read for 20 min. (It's so crazy how I have to bribe my kids to read!)

Nick's fort
It turned out to be a nice day. Snow-storming outside, all of us cozy in the family room inside. Nick made a fort and even took a nap! While Dan and I made dinner, he made brownies.

The first year of early church as a teen...
We are doing the Come Follow Me manual for FHE this year and had a good first lesson. I'd had some notes in my scriptures in Matthew 1 and Luke 1 from Diane's scripture class which I was excited to share with everyone. I also made everyone get their hard copy scriptures to read from (and hopefully mark). Marge liked that our Sunday School teacher had pointed out when we read on our phone, it's easy to click on the scripture and it takes us instantly there. And the Sunday School teacher's manual on our phone had some supplemental videos that are fun to watch.

If you haven't already, watch the video (from Week 2) about the Miracle Caravan Temple Trip in Manaus, Brazil. So inspiring and touching!

I'm excited to have the new manual as a resource. The lesson "coincidentally" covered several topics that I had wanted to talk about with my kids. I love that we're learning directly from the scriptures too. I also love how open the language is and leaving the planning up to parents/individuals/families as to what works best for them. "Use this resource in any way that is helpful to you. You may find it helpful as a guide, or aid for personal study...or for family home evening." "Come, Follow Me is not meant to replace or compete with the good things you are already doing..." "Don't feel bound by the schedule...simply a guide. The important thing is that you are learning the gospel individually and as a family."

We are going to continue in our goal to read the Book of Mormon as a family. (One column each for Chris and Nick, one page each for me and Dan. Marty will do a page as well when he gets home.) But on Sundays, we'll have Family Home Evening using the Come, Follow Me manual. I said, "we could also do our Book of Mormon reading after." But that got shot right down. Ha, ha! That's okay. I love my family and am so grateful for the Gospel and Heavenly Father's Plan that families can be together forever.

After FHE dessert

No comments: