Saturday, January 12, 2019

Happy Birthday, Nick! 14!


We had another leisurely morning because it was Nick's birthday and we made a big birthday breakfast -- pancakes, bacon, berries, whip cream, and "the good syrup" Aunt Jemima's.

He also opened presents and got sung to by the whole crowd.
(Dan's old Apple Watch and Noise cancelling headphones. Oh yeah, and Dynobites cereal.)
This is a big deal because the last few years, we've been in Hawaii for Nick's birthday. 
And even though it's cool to go to Hawaii, he was really wishing he could be home for his birthday.

So it was a big deal for him to invite a couple of friends to spend the weekend with us 
and celebrate his birthday with him!

This is actually Chris' group of friends getting ready to ski.
Dan and I got a ski day to ourselves too, which is fun because you get to catch-up and
talk about stuff while you're riding up the lifts.


Chris' friends all went home after skiing, but Nick's stayed for another night. We had a great dinner in the condo, then Nick and friends played x-box (They each brought their own because the new x-box doesn't do split screen anymore. So funny!) And Dan and Chris watched the Cowboys game.


After the game we had Nick's favorite cake: Red Velvet (Nothing Bundt Cake)
with this silly candle that sang happy birthday (and didn't stop all night long!)

He said this is the first time in a while he's been able to choose his favorite cake flavor too.
It's possible we haven't even had a birthday cake in Hawaii. 
(But I feel like I would make that happen.
I'll have to go back in my photos and see..)


Happy Birthday, Nick!
Nick is the ultimate in taking responsibility. He wakes up on his own and is always on time.
He regularly checks in on his grades and his bank account to make sure everything is in order.
On occasion when they're not what he expected, he immediately takes action to correct.

When he has chores and practicing, I can always count on him to get them done 
(if I remind him. Or shall I say, if he's reminded that I remember! ;-)

He'll do his own laundry and make his own lunch or breakfast, snack or dinner if it looks like someone else isn't doing it. In fact, he often gets an idea of something he wants to make and then offers to share with everyone else.

He's a kind friend. He's easy-going. He's obedient and trustworthy. He's cautious.
He's athletic, fun and good at figuring things out. He loves Brooklyn 9-9 and is willing to let me watch TV with him and answer my questions when I don't know what's going on.

When he sees my sunglasses or my phone case or computer screen is dirty, he'll say, 
"Oh mom... (in a shaking his head kind of way)..." and clean them for me.

He also leaves his shoes and socks everywhere.
I love this kid!



No comments: