Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Dad's 30-Day Challenge for a Testimony

When my dad taught seminary, he offered the class an opportunity to do "30-Days to Gain a Testimony." I had him in 9th grade when I was 14. When he asked me if I was doing the challenge, I brushed him off saying, "Nope. I don't even know if the church is true." (Rather ironic given that was the whole point. But my 14-year-old brain didn't process that. It just didn't want to gain a testimony because my dad told me to. Even if he was my seminary teacher.)

He responded, "That's great! When you start questioning if the church is true or not, you're on the path to getting answers and finding out for yourself!" That's not what I wanted to hear. I was assuming he'd be mad. Or at least bugged.

I never did his 30-day challenge. But I did gain my own testimony my Sophomore year of college when I read the Book of Mormon sincerely looking to gain a testimony. And praying regularly night and day. When I prayed after reading Moroni's Promise, I did know it was true. And I knew that I had always known it -- experiences flashed through my mind throughout my life where I'd felt the spirit.

Chris is wanting to gain his own testimony. And I wanted to see if Grandpa's challenge could help him. Diane found the papers. The copy from 1984 that I remember was handwritten in his precise, perfect handwriting and mimeographed in purple ink. He'd updated it since then. Still every bit as applicable. And pretty cool to read his experience and beginning of his testimony in his own words. Thanks, Dad.



No comments: