Thursday, April 11, 2024

With a Little Help

This morning started out with everything good for the soul--
vigorous exercise, nutritious breakfast and no rushing before I had an early afternoon doctor appt.

Chris has had a very busy week with school and work and prepping for 
Sigma Chi formal this weekend in Crested Butte. 
(Did you know that Sigma Chi formal is always at a destination location?)
His group planned to drive a few hours extra to spend a night and day at the ranch in Pagosa.

He swapped cars with Nick so he could have the SUV to drive six people,
but Dan told him he'd need to take it to get new brakes before a road trip,
so he took it in on Wednesday morning. 

All good up to now, until it wasn't done Wednesday evening, as promised.
He came home and told me how frustrated he was at the dealership,
how it compounded on top of a stressful week but how he'd reminded himself
it wasn't the dealership guy's fault, so he remained calm in spite of the bad news that he'd have to go back on Thursday, after his Calculus quiz, which would slow down getting on the road.
Chris is always fun to talk to because he's good at analyzing and expressing 
his emotions and thought process. And I like to do the same thing.

So Thursday morning he's trying to find the key to the rocket box which is nowhere to be found.
And trying get to class on time. He'd called and the car would be done at 11:00.
(All last night I'd been thinking of how I could be helpful, 
but I had an appointment I needed to leave to, so couldn't think of what I could do to help.)

But then Chris asked if "there was any way I could pick up the car? I could take an Uber there, he'd take my car to class, and we could do a car swap after his quiz was done?"

Well, I had my doctor appointment, I explained, but there probably would be time if I left right now to pick up the car and drive straight downtown.
He perked up. That was near-ish his house and I could take the car to him after my appointment.
It was a really good plan, and I was impressed that Chris has thought it through. Maybe it would work.
So I abadoned my shower, through on clothes and hopped in an Uber 
while he rushed off, taking my car to dash to class.
I got several texts from him: "Thanks so much! Are you sure this is okay?"
To which I responded, "Yes, all great. Just focus on doing well on your quiz."

Unfortunately, the car was not done when I arrived at the dealership.
Probably would be in 30 minutes. But I needed to leave in 5 to get to my doctor appt.
I left a message for the doctor to see if we could switch to virtual.
Ten minutes later I still hadn't heard back.
Meanwhile Chris was texting, "I'm so sorry! I'll come back and get you!"

"No. I'm your mom. I want to help you when I can.
I'll figure it out. You worry about your quiz!"

When I told the dealership guy I needed to leave and we'd come back in the afternoon and he was every so apologetic and offered to get me an Uber (but I'd already called one),
I remembered what Chris had said yesterday.

It wasn't this guy's fault. He's just passing on info.
And who knows what else was transpiring to get the work done.
Everyone was doing their best and I would invoke Chris' generosity 
and let all my frustrated feelings slip away.

Chris sent one last text asking if I wanted him to pick me up after his quiz.
Which would be perfect!
And for the second time that day I was grateful that when I didn't see a solution of how to be more helpful,
Chris asked for what he needed with a plan and that really lightened my mother-load of having to think of all the solutions in wanting to be helpful.
(And doesn't that make you think that when we go to God in prayer, how it's nice to have an idea of what we'd like to see happen. Even though we also know, "thy will be done.")

Once in the Uber on the way downtown I was a little stressed about getting there on time.
And the new office staff had been real buggers last time I was there and I started projecting about how they might be sticklers again and rude and I really wasn't sure I was up for being kind in the face of adversity.

So, when I arrived, as I ran up the stairs, I said a quick prayer to see the 
receptionist ladies (really just girls) as God sees them.
I smiled and they smiled back and they apologized that the doctor was running five minutes late and I laughed and said I was grateful because I was too. 
They were sweet and I was too and all my anxiety melted away.

Which is good, because the doctor told me my glucose/insulin stats are going up, in spite of eating mostly clean since January. Eating and nutrition is closely tied to my anxiety about perfectionism,
so it was very overwhelming information to digest (ha!). And whew, this day!


Chris picked me up and we drove to the dealership together sharing all about the events of the day and how proud we were of ourselves for handling our frustrations in a positive way.
Plus he thought he did really great on the quiz!

The car was done, I went home to find the car topper key 
(because only a mom knows all the other places to search on top of where everyone else 
already thought to look). 

Chris picked up his group. Then stopped back home for the car topper,
because, of course, I'd found the key.
And then waved goodbye as they hit the road for adventure.

No comments: