Sunday, April 14, 2024

Nick's Ordination

Nick was ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood today.
Dan ordained him an Elder with our Bishop, Dave B. in the circle and our High Councilman, Brent A.
The high councilman asked me to bear my testimony,
so I asked that before I did, each of the men share how the Priesthood blessed their lives.

Dan said holding the priesthood was a commitment to serve others and through 
serving, you'll find your own life is blessed.

Bishop B. talked about the first time he gave a blessing on his mission to a sick man in Cambodia.
He promised he'd be healed, all the while wanting to stop himself from making such a promise.
But in fact, the man was healed and able to serve a mission.
The Priesthood is the power given to men to do the Lord's work on the earth.

Brother A. said he was bolstered by the faith of others.
One man wanted a blessing, but he couldn't speak the language. The man said, to give it in English. 
It didn't matter what language was spoken, the man still felt the blessing.

Finally, I shared with Nick that I've always been grateful that Dan held the Priesthood
and could use it to bless our family.
I testified that the prayers of a mom are heard by God and every bit as effective.
I've also often been in situations where I didn't know what to pray for and 
in the momen was given the words to say. 

But, there is something unique about Priesthood blessings.
I can't exactly define the difference, but my spirit recognizes it.

(Perhaps its that in prayer I could ask for blessings/healing/comfort/guidance.
I can talk to God through prayer and expect answers in my heart or mind.
But in Priesthood blessings you might actually "command" -- is that the right word? -- 
the body to heal with the authority you're acting on God's behalf. Of course, that doesn't happen very often. But you could, if prompted by the Holy Ghost.
I wouldn't do that in a regular prayer.)

It's a blessing to be used on behalf of others, and the most special to bless your own children.

When Dan ordained Nick, he blessed him and counseled him in the following things: 
that he will be a blessing to his mission president with his maturity,
to be humble in leadership opportunities on his mission and to look for ways to love,
blessed him with the gift to learn the language quickly,
blessed him with protection in racing between now and his mission,
and that he would start sharing the Gospel now with the people he spends time with.

***

Afterward, while Dan got a chicken roasting, Nick helped me
put the patio cushions on the outdoor furniture!
Soooo happy for warmer weather!


 

No comments: