Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Happy Birthday, Courtney!

This is turning out to be a month of Courtney, and I'm so glad because 
I never run out of nice things to say about her!
Happy 28 years!

Currently she and Michael are in Belgium just for fun.
Courtney is presenting at a conference in Paris (!) next week,
so she and Michael took an extended vacation to Europe.

One of the things I love about spending time with Courtney is we have a similar sense of humor
and think the same things are funny. We can really crack ourselves up sometimes.
And we are able to remember funny things that happened a long time ago and still think they're funny.
"Oh! Wow! Ouch!"
"Mom, I'm over here."

I admire her ability to say, "Oh, I disagree!" in the most unconfrontational 
and open-minded way and I'd really like to be like that some day.

She never hesitates to help other people and genuinely loves sharing knowledge -- 
whether its about science or restaurants. And she makes people feel welcome and included.


She was featured on a Columbia student spotlight this week and I loved her quote:
"Courtney's favorite part of her Ph.D. was the constant learning! 
'Whether it was in classes at conferences, during research, making mistakes or collaborating with others, I feel like I learned something new every day, and I absolutely loved that.'"

When asked what advice she has for younger students, Courtney said, 'Often as young students, we feel a pressure to prove how much we already know, but my advice is to instead recognize and accept that there is always something you can learn from someone.'"


She's the best! 
I love you Courtney and am so happy you get to spend your birthday 
exploring a beautiful, new-to-you place with Michael!

No comments: