Thursday, February 09, 2023

It Will All Work Out

Dan and Nick flew to Atlanta for a race this weekend; but, I had my last Kenalog injection today, 
which meant I had to drive myself home after the procedure. 
I'd done it before, the very first time, and it was very, very horrible. 

But now I knew what to expect, and this was the last in the series of four so my trachea would be fully open and I'd be able to breathe much easier, even while my vocal cords were still numb. I could do it. 
I would be brave.
I called ahead of time and asked if there was a quiet place I could sit for 30 minutes 
while the numbing wore off, and they said there was.

And then I decided, I should go to New York for the weekend.
We had art that needed hanging and rugs that were being swapped out for the correct size. 
I could sit on the plane and rest just as easily as I could sit in my bed.
And it would be fun to get everything set up in New York.

The kink in the plans came last night when I was given the 2:45 appointment. 
And my flight was at 5:20.
I was already a little bit stressed and now even more so because I wouldn't have time to wait for the numbing to wear off before I headed to the airport.

When I showed up, my doctor also told me she was doing the procedure a different way.
I don't love change, especially when I was gearing up for a certain plan and needed everything to go my way today. But what choice did I have?

Instead of injections through my neck, she was doing them internally through a flexible scope.
How does that even work?

Good news! It worked great! 
Numbing that way was actually a lot more tolerable and I didn't choke near as much.
She said that's often the case because its not so shocking to the trachea.
She said not everyone likes it that way though because all the pressure of the two tubes in the nose.
It was definitely uncomfortable, but worth it.

I made it to the airport with no trouble and even had time to stop and see my mom before she boarded her flight to California. 

Flight was easy and now I'm in New York!

No comments: