Monday, August 01, 2022

Chapito Gonzales Garcia

 We've got a new family member -- Chapito Gonzales Garcia, the hamster.


A few weeks ago Nicholas called to me to ask if I could come to his room.
And not gonna lie, it felt ominous. 
When I got there, he said, "come to my loft"
and when I climbed to the top of the stairs,
there in a cage on the floor at the edge of his bed was Chapo. 
And I thought it was pretty hilarious.


Dan came home a little bit later and we called him up. 
He was surprised and probably didn't take it as well as I did.
And a few minutes later Chris came home and we called him up and surprisingly,
he was the most dismayed of all, "Nick! What have you done? Why?!"
Because Chris' hamster Chubs was never very affectionate and then died.
It was a somewhat disappointing hamster experience, and Chris still really loved him.

But Chapo has socialized pretty well, letting Nick hold him without trouble.
He's almost as big as a guinea pig. He's one fat rat. I mean hamster.
And fortunately Nick is old enough to clean his cage on his own.
And we travel enough that he's compelled to clean it often before asking a friend to babysit.

We introduced Kershaw to Chapo a few days ago and he is REALLY
confused/intrigued/annoyed.
He goes crazy trying to get Chapo if he's in his ball, so they can't be in the same room,
but this whole week I've caught Kershaw either at Nick's door if its closed,
and in his room if he forgets and leaves the door open.



No comments: