Friday, March 27, 2020

What?

My ear has been plugged for a week. It started after playing in the waves one day and has lasted ever since. Not the "I can hear water moving around" kind, but the "I'm totally deaf," kind.

When I took Clara to get her hearing aids fixed I tried to get the courage to ask if the doctor could take a peak in my ear and see if I had an infection or something. But I chickened out. Mainly I was worried he would think I was risking Clara's life bringing her out to the doctor and her hearing aid issue was a ruse for my own selfish purposes. (How can I possibly be my mother's daughter? She would never worry about what the doctor would think!)

It's pretty painful too. But are doctors even seeing patients with routine problems? What is even happening for normal sicknesses? Fortunately Dan remembered that our good friend is an ENT. I called his wife who gave me his cell number and said he's seeing patients via FaceTime. I described my symptoms and he prescribed ear drop antibiotics for an outer ear infection. They've helped with the pain, but not with the hearing loss. He said if it wasn't better by three days, to go into the office.

I went in today and he cleaned out my ear which was clogged with wax. And now I can hear again! I am so grateful he was able and willing to help me!

We got word today that Chris will be home tomorrow night.

Marty and Lizzie made Mapo Doufu for dinner tonight -- yum!

The governor issued a "Stay safe, Stay home" announcement today. It's not too different than what we're already doing. Basically stay home except for grocery shopping. (And doctor appointments.) Work from home, don't see friends, etc.

And Dan and I "walked the grounds" with flashlights tonight and listened the the owl hooting somewhere in the woods. It's pretty nice having a five acre park next door to ourselves.


No comments: