Friday, March 06, 2020

Great and Spacious Building

My friend lived in California during a big earthquake. There was devastation all around her neighborhood. As her neighbors came out of their homes to evaluate the damage, they were upset and fearful. But she remembers one man raising his arms to get their attention and calling out in a loud voice, "Neighbors, friends, we have food, we have water. And we have plenty to share."

She wasn't a member of the Church at the time and the concept of food storage was new to her. But she will never forget this kind Church member offering to share with all his neighbors whatever he could to help ease their burden.

Coronavirus is all the talk right now. With so many countries having forced quarantines, people in the Utah are buying out water, toilet paper, cold medicine and hand sanitizer.

A lot of people are laughing at those stocking up. Especially the water, masks, and tp. Some are saying they're silly because our water supply is not threatened. But I have to say, if for any reason we had to stay home for an extended period, I wouldn't want to run out of toilet paper. So I don't know why people think it's so odd to be stocking up on tp.

There are some funny memes. But I've also read many comments from people I know angrily calling people hoarders and others saying "hey, fools!" It reminded me of the great and spacious building in Nephi's dream. People pointing their fingers and laughing and mocking other people's decisions.

I don't really think its funny. It makes me sad. Clearly they don't agree with what makes other people feel safe. But why make fun or shame them?

And if the tables were turned, and suddenly we realized we do need water and tp, those who stocked up would start calling the other people "fools." And point the mocking finger right back.

I've never forgotten the story of the earthquake and my friend's neighbor. I want to be the type of person who can say, "Neighbors, friends, come. We have plenty to share."


This one was pretty funny though:




No comments: