Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Laying Low

Yesterday was the day I had my tooth pulled. Yikes! It seemed so wrong! Kind of like when I certified for scuba diving. I had a moment of panic at The Crater because breathing under the water is wrong -- my brain fought against the possibility. I had to remind myself that I had air and I was ok. And then I settled down.

Just thought of another time... when I went bungee jumping and had to force myself to jump off of the platform. It went against all of my natural inclinations to 1) stand on the edge of something so high and then 2) to jump off.

As I got ready in the morning, my stomach was a little sick and I was nervously pooping. (The same phenomena happened before my tummy tuck surgery.) I kept reminding myself I trusted the prosthodontist and it seemed like the best course of action. Plus all that was left was a little stump of the original tooth anyway. And then I was nervous that I hadn't considered how bad it may hurt during and after.

But the office staff is all very friendly and professional. C, the assistant is a 26-year-old dentist from India who is applying to residency for Prosthodontist school. I loved visiting with her and I loved telling her all about my own very smart, hard-working daughter. And then the office assistant said her brother-in-law also went to UW and now Columbia and we thought we should line Courtney and him up. As it turned out, Courtney already knew him and he texted that night that his sister-in-law met her mom at the dentist's office that night! Ha, ha! Small world.  (Prosthodontist's office. I don't like my dentist very much.)

The shots were shots and don't last long and then Dr. Egbert explained the whole process. I really like that about him. He's always in teaching mode and explains things really well and seems to really love what he does. I asked if mid-surgery I changed my mind and wanted Nitrous if I could get it and he said, "The worst part was the shots. That's what everyone gets nervous about."

He was right. I think the actual sawing the tooth in two pieces and pulling it out took less than 15 minutes.

Now I take Ibuprofen to eliminate any inflammation and an oral antibiotic and a topical antibiotic. And I'm supposed to lay low for 3 days. And not exercise except for a walk for 2 weeks. And also sleep with my head elevated for 3 days. Hmmm... That first day I was swollen and numb and tired (from the emotional trauma, I decided). And I can't eat anything with seeds or small bits that get caught in your teeth so nothing gets caught in the gums surrounding the post. Like berries with small seeds, Chia (in my green drink), rice or salad.

When I first got home I tried to eat an egg so I could have something in my stomach when I took the Ibuprofen. That was dumb. Don't try to eat when your mouth is still numb. Chewing hurt even after the numbing wore off. So by dinner time I just ate applesauce.

Dan said, "Well, forced fasting isn't so bad!" I'm assuming he meant, "forced dieting" because obviously no one LIKES to fast -- especially forced to fast. So that was also dumb. Don't tell your wife it's cool that she's forced to go on a diet.

Funny moment: Just after I got home, Nick said, "You don't look funny. Just like a stroke victim whose mouth is droopy on one side." (That doesn't look funny?! And where had he learned about stroke victims?! He cracks me up!)

Dan took the kids boating and I decided to stay home and nap. I was glad I did. Today I have also mostly relaxed. Dan is working from home today because he wanted to power wash and clean the garage with the boys. I was glad he did because the doorbell has rung every hour and he gets it instead of me running downstairs. But I am feeling better today. Just tired. Which might have less to do with the actual surgery and more to do with when someone says, "you need to rest and lay low," it's not so hard to convince yourself, that yes, that is a good idea.

Confession: On Sunday we all talked Dan into letting Nick and Miles swim since it was the first (second) day the pool was opened. We sat with our feet in the pool and Courtney called out a game to them while they jumped off the pool. Aunt Marge watched from the sunroom. It was fun.

Me. Laying low. (And new glasses.)

No comments: