Saturday, July 07, 2018

Novel 1

This is the second week of my Novel 1 class (UCLA online extension program). So far the teacher and his lectures are fantastic... AND as I was creating a character sketch of an antagonist and protagonist for my story... I came up with an idea. I'm pretty excited. And scared. For some reason.

I think its because now that I've got an idea, I don't have an excuse to not write it out. And so its up to me to make it good. So will I be able to do it?

Plus the scenario is sad. But a point our teacher keeps making is we have to understand, love, and get into the heads of our characters. But not be afraid to let hard things happen to them. That's what makes them real. You're essentially hurting "someone" (your made-up character) you love. On purpose.

I called my idea my climax, but my teacher said it sounded more like an "inciting event." I had to look that up. I'm not sure exactly what it will end up being. But I'm excited to find out. And scared.

--Dan and Chris are racing today and Nick is boating with friends.
Gave me lots of quiet time to work.--

No comments: