Monday, July 23, 2018

Goldstream Provincial Park







We hiked throughout Goldstream Provincial Park today. Enormous 600 year old Douglas Fir trees, ferns up to my waist and moss growing on everything. Beautiful! A short hike to Niagara Falls (not THE Niagara) then up to an old railroad trestle. 
Tunnel to the trail to the falls and trestle.




We hiked beyond through the forest to an old gold mine. (More like the beginning of an old gold mine. The cave didn't really go anywhere except about 20 yds into the mountain.) 

Old copper mine.


Dan headed into the Gold mine. (Hope we don't need scuba gear!)






We got back to our car and ate a picnic lunch on the tables near the Welcome Center. We'd hiked about 3.5 miles so far and were re-energizing for our 3 mile RT hike up to the top of Mt. Finlayson

130 stairs to start the hike!
Unfortunately, after my 3 weeks of inactivity from the implant and then c-diff, I was spent only halfway up. Last week I took 3 good walks of 3.5 miles each day and yoga on Saturday. But I haven't hiked for 3 weeks. We took a long rest but then we had to boulder climb in the sun and I was literally blacking out! Yikes! I hate to quit so went a little further but then found a shady spot and had to stop. I sent Dan up ahead to finish and enjoyed a beautiful view while I waited. 

The funny part is we were in what felt like a remote area. But when we hiked above the trees, we came out and were literally overlooking a huge neighborhood of homes and apartments and a golf course! Far off into the distance we could see Mt. Baker. It is so big, you almost miss seeing it because your eye is drawn to the smaller mountains around it.

View from Mt. Finlayson
We made it back down but I had to hold Dan's hand for support at the end. Man, c-diff has taken a toll! Good thing I was in such good shape ahead of time!

We were hot, dirty and exhausted when we got back to our car and the hotel. A shower and nap never felt better. Dinner at 10 Acres Commons was tasty but the restaurant was quite loud.  After we walked down Government street with all the souvenir shops and found a Canada t-shirt for Nick. Dan wanted a gray one, but I wouldn't let him get it. (Remember all the gray t-shirts he has? We're holding out to find a red one!)
Government building outside of our hotel.
Government building at night.

No comments: