Sunday, July 22, 2018

Canada Getaway


With Nick going to Lax Camp this week at BYU and Chris gone, Dan and I are taking a trip to Canada. It's hard to want to leave our home since the pool and yard are so beautiful. But between how busy Dan is at work and all the landscaping construction starting up this week, we wouldn't have had any time to be together or do staycation things it we didn't get out of town.

We even went so far as to leave Nick in the morning and let him ride his bike to Ryan's house before church -- essentially getting himself out the door for his trip. (I did help him pack and we dropped all his bags off on our way to the airport.)

We had two flights and I wrote, wrote, wrote to get my assignment done. We had to outline a plot for our novel and detail a chapter in 4-6 scenes. It was HARD, and very exciting at the same time. I discovered that being forced (because it was a class and was homework) to focus on the assignment and having a deadline as well compelled me to think about it more than I would have on my own. Several scenes I was stumped at how they would make sense, but I spent time thinking about it and figured out solutions. It was super fun!

We arrived in Victoria at 4:00 p.m. Our room wasn't ready yet, so we walked the mile to Craigadorroch Castle. An beautiful mansion that has been restored and furnished much to its original condition. I loved that you could look in every room.

We took a different route back to our hotel through a neighborhood of lovely old homes, and then went to dinner at Nautical Nellie's. Hit the spot.

Our hotel: The Empress

View of the harbor from our room



Entry at Craigadorroch Castle

The parlor. I'm thinking we need to change our Living Room to a more functional space.





No comments: