Thursday, November 09, 2023

Somebody

Carol and I hiked Rattlesnake this morning.
It's a hike that's easy if you've been hiking a lot because after two tough climbs,
it's just a long flat path to the Overlook.
Sometimes I'm a little disappointed if that's the hike a friend chooses.

But if you haven't been hiking in a while it's great because if you can endure the two tough climbs,
you get a long, flat path to the Overlook.
Sometimes I'm so grateful to get outside and hike, but on a very manageable trail.



I'm also so so grateful for friends who have been best friends since we were 15!
Then we were college roommates, lived in Chicago at the same time, had kids at the same time,
back in Utah together and even kids at the same high school.

The greatest gift of long time friends is growing up together.
Not just from teenagers to adults. 
But growing up as parents and now grandparents.
Sharing life and experiences that have grown--and are still expanding--our hearts and minds.
I am grateful.

This afternoon Chris and I got a long hangout talking about the world we live in and life in general.
(Why haven't I listened to Depeche Mode in a million years?
Excuse me while I leave to add "Somebody" to my playlist.)

He's so thoughtful and wise and open to philosophizing 
about everything that's on both of our minds.
I am grateful.

No comments: