Saturday, November 11, 2023

Alone Time

When I woke up this morning, Shaeffer Fam had a text with a live feed 
for the Sebring race and Nick had just started his stint. 

(I've been waking up surprisingly early for a week that I could stay in bed as late as I wanted with no one else here. I blame daylight savings. And truth be told, I stayed in my pajamas until 6:00 p.m. yesterday and was very productive. I only changed into clothes so I could hold my head up when I went into Harmons to get a salad for dinner.)



I watched for a while and cheered internally as his little red dot made its way around the track.
(Their team is #766 Thunder Bunny Racing. Nick qualied at 4th and held his spot at 5th,
and then the older slower guys had to have a turn. Ha! JK!)

Pretty soon I heard commotion in the driveway and discovered the Christmas lights crew was unexpectedly here. Tis the season, so I hoped they'd be here soon, but I didn't know which day. 

That meant instead of heading out on my bike ride, I needed to find the ribbons for the windows and hang the wreaths (they hang the downstairs 4 on ribbons that I tie around the casement center. They bring me another 4 that I hang on the upstairs windows and then they plug in). So you see its a bit of a process and I can't put it off because they're on two-story ladders plugging everything together.

But by 9:30 I got out for a fantastic sunny ride with temps at 40* and listened to a couple of interesting podcasts on Faith Matters.

I tried to do some work, but ended up reading instead.
And all day long I refreshed the racing app to check in on the guys.


I went to an art show with two dozen top Utah artists at the Cottonwood Club 
and it was packed with people, shoulder-to-shoulder. Such great work and fun to discover new artists.
(And meet two favorites in person! Stephanie Hock and Rebecca Klundt.)

If only, if only this picture did the sunset justice. 
It was absolutely mesmerizing.


Today's my last night of five nights alone.
For YEARS (about 15-20, to be exact) I dreamed of 24 hours alone. Preferably 48 hours.
24 hours to sleep and read and do whatever lazy thing I wanted
and another 24 to be productive.

Before I knew it, we'd made it to a time when all the boys were old enough for 
Father's and Sons overnight and I did not let anyone miss! 
(Even the year it snowed. Dan was such a good sport for not quitting!)
And then a few years later Dan started including Nick to help open or close camp at Pagosa with him and Chris, and I had a whole weekend to myself. I even had them take Kershaw once, 
and boy was that heavenly.
(One year Kay and JD were in town and wondered if they could visit 
and I actually said no, because that weekend alone was too sacred!)

And now here I am at a time in my life where days alone are frequent.
I'm still appreciating every single one, however. So I'm not lonely yet.

I should mention that Chris has showed up several times this week,
and in spite of me loving being alone,
the only thing that I love even more is time with my kids.
Go figure.

No comments: