Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Home with a Crash

 As I arrive home, Dan and Nick are headed to Austin for a race at COTA.
Dan had a whirlwind day, but still was willing (I offered to get an Uber!) to pick me up at the airport,
take me straight to my bodywork appointment (still working on my neck), 
and pick me back up afterward, with only minutes to spare to get on the road for his own trip.
His generosity with time is one of the many things I love about him.

I spent the afternoon working on the Christmas card,
writing a highlight for everyone (and trying to make the words conform to the text space on the card that can't be modified). Also getting a pic of each of the kids and trying to fit those pics into the picture space that also can't be modified.

(I ended up downloading a picstitch app so I could turn the four pictures into one.
It was quite a process but actually fun, every step of the way.)

Just as I was sitting down to dinner, Chris came in.
While we were catching up,
a huge crash accompanied with lots of jingling came from the other room.
I was so glad Chris was home because it sounded like someone had barged through the back door--
the one with the jingle bells on it.
If I'd been home alone, I might have had a heart attack!

Not an intruder, but the garland crashing off the mantle. I'm not sure which is worse.
The jingling was from the bells on the garland and the sound of breaking glass was ornaments shattering.
I'm too tired to deal with it today.
Tomorrow. 
I'm much better at tackling problems when I've had a good night's sleep.


Also, it was in the dining room so it was easy to ignore as I didn't have to look at it.
(I should take a minute to appreciate the ladies who hung the garland 
while I was out of town and I got to come home to a festive holiday home.)

Instead, I ate dinner in front of the TV and watched three episodes of Call the Midwife.
I can never get through an episode without tearing up. 
I think the theme music creates a Pavlovian response in me now--
all my cares melt away as I spend time with my lovely friends at Nonatus House.

No comments: